My FreeBSD Story

I briefly used Mandrake (around 2003-2004) for a few months, moved to Gentoo and bounced between Gentoo and Ubuntu while occasionally experimenting with FreeBSD because it was frequently mentioned as the inspiration for how Drobbins chose to architect Gentoo.

The main barrier to me for FreeBSD was that my hardware was not supported for my main desktop at the time (it wouldn't even boot). It finally became my primary OS about a year ago after having migrated all my servers over to it from Ubuntu.

The main benefit of FreeBSD vs Gentoo is an upgrade path that doesn't vanish if you wait too long to do updates. This is one benefit of splitting the packages apart from the operating system.

edit: Also, I wanted to thank you for your posts over the years. A lot of your posts/comments came up when I was researching how to tweak various settings on FreeBSD.

Your material has been invaluable in me switching some stuff to FreeBSD also; especially when it came to understanding the Xorg subsystem.

Great work!

Very good dual socket motherboard! ;)

My first computer was the Amstrad 3086 without hard disk, with VGA Paradise (impressive colors, when I only show CGA on school) and one of 3 1/2" floppy disk.

I'm very grateful to my teacher. By him, I've installed FreeBSD (and others! :D)

I briefly used Mandrake (around 2003-2004) for a few months, moved to Gentoo and bounced between Gentoo and Ubuntu while occasionally experimenting with FreeBSD because it was frequently mentioned as the inspiration for how Drobbins chose to architect Gentoo.

The main barrier to me for FreeBSD was that my hardware was not supported for my main desktop at the time (it wouldn't even boot). It finally became my primary OS about a year ago after having migrated all my servers over to it from Ubuntu.

The main benefit of FreeBSD vs Gentoo is an upgrade path that doesn't vanish if you wait too long to do updates. This is one benefit of splitting the packages apart from the operating system.

I hope they (FreeBSD) will keep it that way when the introduce pkgbase concept - base system packages will be handled by pkg(8).

edit: Also, I wanted to thank you for your posts over the years. A lot of your posts/comments came up when I was researching how to tweak various settings on FreeBSD.

Thanks, good to know that it serves someone :)

I agree that the Open Solaris developed theme "Nimbus" was looking fantastic. I was quite mortified when Gnome 2 and Gtk+2 effectively died, taking IMO, the only polished open-source desktop down with it. That said, Gnome 2 was still slow and bloated and the FreeBSD port was quite shaky with mounting so I must remember it wasn't all 100% perfect "back in the days" ;)

Thanks for sharing :)

I agree that the Open Solaris developed theme "Nimbus" was looking fantastic. I was quite mortified when Gnome 2 and Gtk+2 effectively died, taking IMO, the only polished open-source desktop down with it. That said, Gnome 2 was still slow and bloated and the FreeBSD port was quite shaky with mounting so I must remember it wasn't all 100% perfect "back in the days" ;)

Thanks for sharing :)

Welcome :)

Now that bloated GNOME 2 desktop is called MATE and is light :p ... and already ported to GTK3.

Hi,

Just wanted to share my 'FreeBSD Story' :)

https://vermaden.wordpress.com/2018/09/07/my-freebsd-story/

Regards,
vermaden

Great story, vermaden! I started with DOS 5.0, 6.0. Moved to Windows 3.1, then to 95. I've used all versions of Windows and I do maintain one Win 10 Pro laptop for my wife and teenager. I started with Linux in 2002 with Caldera OpenLinux 2.3. I moved to Red Hat 9, then to Slackware 10.0 in 2004. I started with FreeBSD at 5.4 or 5.5, memory is a bit hazy.

Great story, vermaden! I started with DOS 5.0, 6.0. Moved to Windows 3.1, then to 95. I've used all versions of Windows and I do maintain one Win 10 Pro laptop for my wife and teenager. I started with Linux in 2002 with Caldera OpenLinux 2.3. I moved to Red Hat 9, then to Slackware 10.0 in 2004. I started with FreeBSD at 5.4 or 5.5, memory is a bit hazy.
Thanks, you also have nice bumpy road :)

Hi,

Just wanted to share my 'FreeBSD Story' :)

https://vermaden.wordpress.com/2018/09/07/my-freebsd-story/

Regards,
vermaden
Thank you for the great work.
I start with PC DOS 3.2 if I remember correct :), than OS/2 2.0 and continiue with WARP wich was very good and Windows emulation 3.1 works good for some game and I was happy StarOffice user too. And I think 1995 or 96 I put on Debian and than I became Linux user to the FreeBSD version 6 and after FreeBSD 7 I am using it all the time.

Back