My experience with FreeBSD

hacktor_

Hello!

I am a Linux user. Used Linux for 3 years or so. But my first Unix-based OS experience was with FreeBSD 7.2 in 2011. I don't really want to detail more, that game is illegal anyways and I hate it (played it a lot and I was addict to it, single player games helped me out).

Last week I wanted to see exactly how FreeBSD works. I downloaded 10.2-RELEASE bootonly from website and I installed it.

Installation was flawless. Everything was perfect.
I installed Apache 2.4, PHP 5.6, MariaDB 10.0 with pkg(8) this time. Everything went perfect, but when I tried to install ftp/curl and ftp/php56-curl and PHP modules used by me, an error occurred that was solved using pkg update -f.

I'm interested into FreeBSD as web server. I used a lot Linux at this and I'm curious how FreeBSD does the job(s).

I hope FreeBSD will be as awesome as now and better than now. :D Liked it from first boot-up signal.

drhowarddrfine

Son of Beastie

Netflix, a few years ago, chose FreeBSD to serve all their videos online which makes up over 40% of all internet traffic. Is that good enough?

I'm a web developer hosting tens of clients for 11 years exclusively on FreeBSD.

OP
OP
H

hacktor_

My high school uses FreeBSD for hosting the website and FreeNAS. He configured two servers, the first one redirects all the traffic to the second one. It works well.

OP
OP
H

hacktor_

Ha, so maybe Metin2 is not too bad for attracting new users! Welcome! :)
Thank you :) for me was an opportunity. I did what I liked: learned Linux, learned web development (with my uncle's help). But everything started with FreeBSD and that game.