Mutt and copying a cc list to aliases

I've googled this with terms similar to the title. Suppose I receive an email with a cc list of say, scott1, scott2, scott3. Is there a simple way to make an alias of all the addresses? That is, say some key combo that says, make alias of scott1, scott2, and scott3?

I haven't found anything, but I suspect there is a way to do this that I'm missing.

Thanks for any input.

I didn't understand it. Do you want something to reply to all on CC list, or create a group of mails, or...?

If the idea is to reply-all, just click 'g' to have a group reply. :)

In this particular case, I wanted to take a list of about 10 names, and not reply to it, but make a group of it.
In addition, it was in the cc section and had I answered the mail, I would have wanted to use bcc.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

From the top of my head, something like this should work.

alternates -group scottgroup scott1@ scott2@ scott3@ etc.

So, later just add 'scottgroup' (the name of the group) to the BCC field.

I use mail/abook to maintain my contacts and prefer to send group emails w/ the BCC field. Abook does not provide that utility.
My workaround was to select the recipients in Abook and then bring up mutt <m>. Copy the recipients in the To: field and paste into a text file or directly into the Bcc: field.. If you bulk email the same group it is easy to paste the text file into the CC:/BCC: fields on future emails

Last edited:
Yes, I was thinking of abook. Thanks to all for suggestions. My _hope_ was something like a key combo of select all, add to aliases and the like, but it doesn't seem to be there.

Thanks again.

Yes, I was thinking of abook.
The man page for abook(1) allows configuration (--datafile) of separate addressbooks, for example familyaddresses and bizaddresses. From abook, the spacebar will tag (+) multiple recipients (To: field). Or just use the <+>key to select all members of an addressbook.

What about adding an entry in an alias file and sourcing it into your ~/.mutt/muttrc?

Code:
echo "alias scott  -group scott_group scott1@provider1.com, scott2@provider2.com, scott3@provider3.com" >> ~/.mutt/aliases
cat >> ~/.mutt/muttrc << EOF
> set alias_file= ~/.mutt/aliases
> set sort_alias= alias
> set reverse_alias=yes
> source $alias_file
> EOF

And then use mutt -c scott... everytime you need it, or add an alias for mutt='mutt -c scott' in your default shell configuration file :)

That's close to what I did, but the way the addresses were arranged, I wound up having to manually edit them. (It was probably sent on an iPhone or similar, I no longer have the original format or I could show you. I have .mutt_aliases sourced whenever I start neomutt.

Back