vmware Multiple VMWare NICs and FreeBSD

Hello, I need help as I'm rather new to this

Right now I have FreeBSD 12.2 installed with 'open-vm-tools-nox11' package up and running on an ESXi 6.5 host, on which I have multiple NICs, namely a 1GBit one and a 10 GBit one. Both are connected to entirely different subnets.

I've put them both as uplinks for the vSwitch0 - but there's no way to add them separately for the virtual machine itself since only VMXNET3 is available as an interface and FreeBSD reports them as a "vmx0" interface. When I just add another network interface - "vmx1" shows up alright, even with a different mac-address - but the physical interface it uses is exactly the same as "vmx0", naturally having no access to the other network entirely.

How do I solve this?

I've put them both as uplinks for the vSwitch0 - but there's no way to add them separately for the virtual machine itself since only VMXNET3 is available as an interface and FreeBSD reports them as a "vmx0" interface. When I just add another network interface - "vmx1" shows up alright, even with a different mac-address - but the physical interface it uses is exactly the same as "vmx0", naturally having no access to the other network entirely.
You connect the right NIC to the right network on the VMWare side. They'll always show up as VMXNET3 interfaces on a guest.

namely a 1GBit one and a 10 GBit one. Both are connected to entirely different subnets.

I've put them both as uplinks for the vSwitch0

This doesn't make a lot of sense - unless of course you are just running both your different subnets on one mixed physical network (i.e. one broadcast domain). If you have two physical interfaces, and want them to be separate networks, you likely want two virtual switches in VMWare. With one vswitch you are bridging them.

You should have two switches, each with a basic port group (eg. "network1" & "network2"). In the guest configuration you create two networking interfaces and assign each one to the relevant port group, which will put them on the correct switch, and therefore connect them to the correct physical network adapter. In the guest you will have vmx0 & vmx1 which can be configured with dhcp/addresses as required.

Back