multi FreeBSD server synchron storage

Hi @ all,

since a while, I want to setup 3 FreeBSD servers which are sharing their disk space.

Systems:
  • 3 individual root vServer
  • 1 static public IPv4 address plus /64 IPv6 per system
  • 960GB virtual disk per system
  • FreeBSD 11 with encrypted ZFS
  • The servers are not in the same IP segments (provider does not offer that)

The plan:
  • setting them up identically (web, mail and owncloud)
  • jail of owncloud and mail instance should be located at the storage which should be synchronized in real-time between all 3 servers
  • doing fail-overs via HAproxy and mail relay setup
  • if I'm uploading a file to owncloud and doing a fail-over the file should be on the secondary system as well
Already tested solutions:
  • HAST - multicast not possible as they are in different net segments
  • rsync - no real-time sync

Hopefully, someone has other ideas to get the plan working.

Best,
Arne

1) thanks for your response.

2) I haven't found a description where FBSD servers were set up with NFS shares which were redundant. Do have any link for me?

Currently, I give a try with GlutterFS and ZFS but so far no luck.

2) I haven't found a description where FBSD servers were set up with NFS shares which were redundant. Do have any link for me?
You mentioned common storage. There is no special configuration for this type of set up. Your storage exports the data to the clients over NFS.
Currently, I give a try with GlutterFS and ZFS but so far no luck.
Glusterfs is still experimental in FreeBSD but I don't understand why you would want to use it in the scenario you described.

Glusterfs is still experimental in FreeBSD but I don't understand why you would want to use it in the scenario you described.
so far I haven't found a solution which keeps a directory in sync - with Glutter it could work

Ok, now I understand what you want to do. This is a stopper:
Yes - I read an article, that it could work if I establish a VPN between the servers, but I haven't tested yet.

Back