Solved mps IOC 0x40002622 fault connected into LSI raid card

altyne

I have occasional issues during booting; the two hard drive connected in LSI (LSI Internal SATA/SAS 9211-8i 6Gb/s PCI-Express 2.0 RAID Controller Card) raid card using ZFS strip mode. However, issue will be gone if you restart again. But I have concern in the future this disk will be gone and become unreadable.

Setup:
* FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE FreeBSD 12.1-STABLE 976e3be190a
(event I use vanilla FreeBSD 12.x this also occurring)
* Hd: 2 x IBM-ESXS ST33000650SS in ZFS strip mode

mps_fault.jpg

let me know how should I resolve this.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

The firmware of the card looks quite dated compared to the driver version. That's probably something you should check. Also, use sysutils/smartmontools to look at the individual drives themselves.

OP
altyne

altyne

The firmware of the card looks quite dated compared to the driver version. That's probably something you should check. Also, use sysutils/smartmontools to look at the individual drives themselves.
Thanks I have FreeNAS installed I can see the drive information. SMART tools is enabled. I thinks its same with smartmontools right? I have the information of raid card:
lsi_raid.png

But its difficult to find the exact driver/firmware for this card...Im digging into LSI websites now..

ralphbsz

Daemon

You have hung IOs and you have disk controller (LSI card) faults. Something is wrong with your LSI cards. As SirDice said, I would start with firmware upgrades on those cards. Also check cabling, reseat the cards on the PCI bus, and check power supply health. If this is an IBM/Lenovo motherboard, they have extensive diagnostic capabilities, but you probably have to get some IBM/Lenovo documentation or support to access that.

OP
altyne

altyne

You have hung IOs and you have disk controller (LSI card) faults. Something is wrong with your LSI cards. As SirDice said, I would start with firmware upgrades on those cards. Also check cabling, reseat the cards on the PCI bus, and check power supply health. If this is an IBM/Lenovo motherboard, they have extensive diagnostic capabilities, but you probably have to get some IBM/Lenovo documentation or support to access that.
Thanks I have SuperMicro (X11SSM-F-O) board. Ok I try resetting the cables and card. But for firmware I tried looking in LSi/Broadcom support page but no success. I email the there support team but I don't know if give a nudge. Sametime, email FreeBSD-hardware team if give insights with my issue.

ralphbsz

Daemon

Honestly, I have no idea how individual customers perform firmware upgrades on LSI/Broadcom/Avago cards, where one gets the firmware packages from, and what tools one uses. But I know that firmware can be found on their public websites, and that there are firmware upgrade tools, at least for Windows and Linux. I actually used to use the DOS-based firmware management tool, because we had found it to be easiest and most reliable; we prepared special DOS boot disks for our computers, which had front-removable disk drives.

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

I still use a DOS bootable thumbdrive too for the older LSI cards.
Your SAS9211 is a SAS2008 class chip and the flasher is named sas2flsh.exe
The routine looks like this:

sas2flsh -o -e 7
sas2flsh -f 2008T204.ROM
sas2flsh -b mptsas2.rom
sas2flsh -b x64sas2.rom
sas2flsh -o -sasaddhi 5003048

There is also a newer EFI flasher for boards that can boot to an EFI command prompt.
sas2flash.efi
This uses a regular thumbdrive (not bootable) and it will automatically use the script startup.nsh
The script contains this which can also be run manually.
sas2flash.efi -o -e 6
sas2flash.efi -f 2008T204.ROM
sas2flash.efi -b x64sas2.rom

You can also use mpsutil found in the base system for flashing.

OP
altyne

altyne

I still use a DOS bootable thumbdrive too for the older LSI cards.
Your SAS9211 is a SAS2008 class chip and the flasher is named sas2flsh.exe
The routine looks like this:

sas2flsh -o -e 7
sas2flsh -f 2008T204.ROM
sas2flsh -b mptsas2.rom
sas2flsh -b x64sas2.rom
sas2flsh -o -sasaddhi 5003048

There is also a newer EFI flasher for boards that can boot to an EFI command prompt.
sas2flash.efi
This uses a regular thumbdrive (not bootable) and it will automatically use the script startup.nsh
The script contains this which can also be run manually.
sas2flash.efi -o -e 6
sas2flash.efi -f 2008T204.ROM
sas2flash.efi -b x64sas2.rom

You can also use mpsutil found in the base system for flashing.
Thank you very much for details steps. However, where can I get those files? Any clue? I tried looking in there website but no success. (There support portal is difficult and convulted; maybe Im just stupid). Most google search result pages link for download are dead (page not found).

OP
altyne

altyne

I flashed just now. No error encounter between reboots. Thanks for the help and community.