C/C++ mprof (Memory Profiler)

AlexanderProphet

Hullo there FreeBSD community,
I have written an application based on mprof, the memory profiler for Unix which was last updated in about 1989.
It's released under a BSD style license. It compiles unmodified on both Linux and FreeBSD.
Currently it only supports AMD64 processors.
I'd be extremely grateful if people could test it out on their C programs and report any bugs/crashes etc.. To fetch and install:
git clone https://www.github.com/SanctaMaria1997/mprof.git mprof
cd mprof
make
sudo make install

I'll just leave you with some excerpts from the README and the manual page.

mprof

C Memory Profiler

mprof is a rewrite of a classic Unix tool which analyses a C program's memory usage and prints out several detailed reports.

• Find memory leaks
  • Quickly see which C files were responsible for leaks (including exact line numbers)
  • Find out which functions (or chains of functions) are allocating/freeing/leaking the most memory (in terms of both function calls and bytes)
  • Get a breakdown of memory chunk sizes to understand how your program uses memory
  • Find out which C structs in your source code correspond to the memory your program allocates.

DESCRIPTION
mprof is a utility for examining the memory usage of C programs. It works by patching the libc functions
malloc(), calloc(), realloc() and free(); these functions are replaced with equivalents that gather statis‐
tics on memory (mis)use. When the program has finished executing, mprof outputs a memory usage report to a
file (this can be either a physical disk file or the error stream stderr).

Emrion

Tried:
$ mprof
[mprof] Unable to lauch program .
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Ok, I know that I'd to put a program in the command line and If I do that, there is no error.
But please, correct your english and avoid a segmentation fault. As this is the kind of detail which distrust people from your program.

OP
OP
AlexanderProphet

AlexanderProphet

Thanks. I will fix the typo at the next commit. I was aware of the segfault, but as you say it only happens with wrong input. I will fix it though.
Did everything else work as expected?

Emrion

I don't think it works. I tried it on an old program I wrote in C++, a simple http proxy. My software runs well but mprof seems to gather nothing. Maybe I missed something, a prerequisite?

[mprof] MEMORY STATISTICS
[mprof] Memory usage summary:
[mprof] Program allocated 0 block(s)
[mprof] (malloc: 0, calloc: 0, realloc: 0)
[mprof] Program freed 0 block(s)
[mprof] For detailed memory usage statistics, consult the file "tables.mprof.5".
[mprof] Program exited with code 0.

Content of tables.mprof.5:

[mprof] TABLE 1: ALLOCATION BINS

size allocs bytes (%) frees kept (%) types

[mprof] TABLE 2: MEMORY LEAKS

kept bytes (%) allocs bytes (%) frees bytes (%) path

[mprof] TABLE 3: DIRECT_ALLOCATION

% mem bytes % mem(size) bytes kept % all kept c
s m l x s m l x

OP
OP
AlexanderProphet

AlexanderProphet

Hi there,
It is only intended to work with C programs. It is malfunctioning however, as it should fail and print out a message saying "this is not a C program". It looks for the language in the DWARF debug info.
I'm thinking perhaps your app wasn't compiled with the -g option and/or wasn't compiled with clang?
In any case it wouldn't print anything useful as it doesn't patch the new/delete operators - only malloc/calloc/realloc/free.
Thanks for your help.

Emrion

I think that C++ programs are C ones in the root. new operator calls malloc.

Anyway, I tried to compile it with the -g option but I got the same result.

Here is my (modified) Makefile:
CXXFLAGS = -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -ansi
objets = relais.o relais_coeur.o kparser.o

install: $(objets)
cc -g -o relais $(objets) -pthread -lstdc++

clean:
rm $(objets)

depend:
cc -E -MM *.cpp > .depend

OP
OP
AlexanderProphet

AlexanderProphet

Hi Emrion,
It is strange that mprof behaves the way it does with a C++ app. I don't really want to debug it though because that's not its intended use. The DWARF parser doesn't even look for classes - only structures. There would be other issues too probably - I'd need to consult the DWARF specifications. I'm sure that (as you said) new and delete use malloc and free internally - however this would render mprof's output useless because all leaks would appear to happen within the implementation of "new".
I am very grateful for your time and feedback though. And if you or anyone else could test mprof with real-world C programs I'd like that.