Solved mpd5 installation problem

I'm trying to install MPD5 from ports to use it as PPTP server but always getting an error
Under FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE running on VPS

Code:
# make install clean
===>  mpd5-5.7_2 depends on file: /usr/local/include/netgraph/ng_ipacct.h - not found
===>  Verifying install for /usr/local/include/netgraph/ng_ipacct.h in /usr/ports/net-mgmt/ng_ipacct
===>  ng_ipacct-20150304 requires kernel source files in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/net-mgmt/ng_ipacct
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/net/mpd5
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/net/mpd5

I've updated ports tree recently using the following command, not sure if this affected the problem
Code:
# portsnap fetch update

I'm trying to use my FreeBSD VPS as a VPN for 2 reasons:
- Tunneling my connection through it to have a secure internet connection anywhere
- Connect many computers are behind firewall or with connection doesn't support port forwarding (mostly for gaming as hamachi replacement)

Sadly I'm newbie to FreeBSD and generally not so familier with Unix-like OSs

Sorry for my noobish question
Isn't this port already compiled and can be fetched and installed from the ports tree?
Code:
# cd /usr/ports/net/mpd5/
# make install clean
I've seen some guides just installing them
http://unix-heaven.org/node/7

If not, do I have to compile the source code after fetching using svn, and if so how do I compile it?

Sorry for my noobish question
Isn't this port already compiled and can be fetched and installed from the ports tree?

Well, I am afraid you have to do some reading here ;). First thing to know : you always end up installing packages. Now, there are two main ways to obtain packages. First, you can use the packages compiled for you using public repositories. In that case, you just need to use pkg(8).

The second way can be useful if you need specific options that are not available on the public repositories (or other reasons). In that case, you can build your own packages using ports. It means that the ports tree does not contain packages by itself but give you everything you need to build them.

When it comes to build packages, there are several ways :
  1. the canonical one using make(1) (as show in your post)
  2. using a dedicated tool that will build packages using ports and install them on your system using pkg(8). The two main tools I am aware of are ports-mgmt/portmaster and ports-mgmt/portupgrade.
  3. using ports-mgmt/poudriere to build your local repository (the solution I use). Then you use it with pkg(8) as if it was a public repository.
Now comes the reading part. I think you should start with the Handbook and its Chapter 5 (this chapter details everything I just wrote, and in a far better way). If you are still confused with pkg(8), read this article. And if you plan to use ports-mgmt/poudriere, then have a look at this Howto :Thread pkgng-package-repository-using-ports-mgmt-poudriere-no-zfs.38859. Of course, you can also read the man of pkg(8) and ports(7).

Welcome and have fun.

Thanks for your effort, glad to find such helpful community, I expected to get the reply "RTFM!", your simple explanation made it much more clearer to me

I don't mind to read as long as I'm reading the right document not wasting time reading unrelated tens of man pages.

Back