moving a port into the local source tree

I'd like to be able to move a port into my local FreeBSD source tree (because I am constantly modifying some of the header files on which the port depends). My naive approach is to (and I'll use net-snmp as an example):

Code:
cd /usr/ports/net-mgmt/net-snmp
make configure
mkdir <path_to_freebsd_src>/usr.sbin/net-snmp
cp -a work/net-snmp<version>/ <path_to_freebsd_src>/usr.sbin/net-snmp

Then modify the Makefile to be compatible with the build world environment.

Does this approach seem reasonable?

Are there gotcha's I should look out for?

Is there a better way to achieve the same result?

The port Makefile is probably dependent on a lot of the ports system; see /usr/ports/Mk.

Ports are very different from system source. Not saying it can't be done, just that it's sort of nontrivial.

Wiedmann:
Unfortunately that approach won't work, as I'm not modifying the port, I'm modifying FreeBSD header files on which the port depends...

wblock:
That is not the answer I wanted to hear. Please try again. Something like "Just download port-2-src from this website." :e

babel17 said:
wblock:
That is not the answer I wanted to hear. Please try again. Something like "Just download port-2-src from this website." :e

I nearly posted a link to the "and then a miracle occurs" cartoon. Wiedmann's suggestion is a more practical approach. If you don't mind the pkg_* programs complaining, you can even keep a custom port in your own directory outside of the ports tree entirely. It's not very neat, but it works.

If you just have local patches to a port, use csup(1) to update the ports tree. It ignores files that aren't in CVS, so your local patches in files/ will be left alone.

Back