Solved mouse speed/accel not configurable via any method

My mouse is working fine except I cannot configure speed or acceleration. By that I mean I can configure settings but they have no effect. I have tried xset, xinput/libinput, and sensitivity/accel settings in xorg.conf. All these methods produce no errors but there is no change in mouse behavior. I have set extreme values with all methods and zero effect.

Is mouse speed/accel still a user configurable setting or has it been lost to everyone running FreeBSD as a VM on a MacBook?

There is nothing special about my hardware. Logitech M310 wireless mouse, Quadro 2000 video with Nvidia driver 460.84 from pkg, OS is 13.0-RELEASE-p4.

Thanks for any help!

Have you tried setting the Coordinate Transformation Matrix property with xinput?
xinput set-prop '<device name>' 'Coordinate Transformation Matrix' 2 0 0 0 2 0 0 0 1
Total hack and shouldn't be needed. There have to be other working configuration knobs in order to change the speed and/or accel of your pointer.

That being said, I actually did the same thing on my Thinkpad X1 carbon 6th gen, because the trackpoint is unacceptable slow otherwise and I tried every other way under the sun without having any effect. Changing the Coordinate Transformation Matrix will work, but you lose access to many pixels of the screen. I settled on a 5 0 0 0 5 0 0 0 1 matrix, which is IMO an acceptable tradeoff.

if you have the default installation you may have moused running.
man moused pay attention to the -A argument. You'd need to add a moused_flags line to /etc/rc.conf in all likelyhood.

Total hack and shouldn't be needed. There have to be other working configuration knobs in order to change the speed and/or accel of your pointer.
You're right saying one should try the other properties first. But op said that he tried them all to no effect.

That definitely works for the console mouse, but no effect on X. If I kill moused inside of X, then I lose mouse control completely. So X is using moused, but it seems to reset it to some default values when I start X.

Aw man, sort of user error, sort of not. I have 6 mouse devices according to xinput, and I had the wrong one. I still can't set speed but I can turn off acceleration completely which gets me close enough. Thanks everyone for the help.

Back