mouse not working in Laptop

Hi everyone.

Looking for some help getting USB mouse and touchpad to work in my Thinkpad T41. At first I tried to move the pointer with just the touchpad but it didn't move at all then I put in the USB mouse and it didn't move either. I have edited my /etc/rc.conf to include the lines:

Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"

What other files do I need to edit to get this working? I will appreciate all help.
Thank you

Those settings enable those services at startup. If you didn't restart, they aren't running yet.
# service moused start
# service dbus start
# service hald start

I did restart several times though. However I typed service moused start and I got
Code:
Starting default mousedmoused: unable to open /dev/psm0: Device busy

All right, let's back up. What version of FreeBSD? Are you trying to use the mouse in the console or X?

wblock@ said:
All right, let's back up. What version of FreeBSD? Are you trying to use the mouse in the console or X?

Thank you. I just did a fresh install of FreeBSD 8.2, installed KDE4 using the pkg_add -r kde4 command, installed xorg from the ports by cd to the /usr/..... then make clean install.

I don't know if the port collection I have is out of date. When I am not running X the cursor moves just fine across the screen.

I will appreciate all advices.
Thank you.

Thank you I just downloaded synaptics drivers using this command
Code:
pkg_add -r xf86-input-synaptics
Nothing happened. I still can't move the pointer

I couldn't update the ports tree and I haven't installed portsnap just yet. There are several tools for managing the ports collection I just need to know which one is "THE ONE"

Thank you!

It's usually easiest to get the basics working before throwing something gigantic like KDE at it.

How are you starting X? Please put /var/log/Xorg.0.log on pastebin.com and give the URL.

I start x by typing startx. The /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows:
Code:
 (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu Jan 5 00:36:23 2012
(II) Loader magic: 0x81dbf20
(II) Module ABI versions:
         X.Org ANSI E Emulation: 0.4
         X.Org Video Driver: 6.0
         X.Org XInput Driver : 7.0
         X.ORG Server Extension : 2.0
(--) Using syscons driver with x support (version 2.0)
(--) using VT number 9

(--) PCI;*(0:1:0:0) 1002:4c66;1014:0531 ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobil
(==) Using default built-in configuration (30 lines)
(==) --- Start of built-in configuration ---
        Section "Device"
                Identifier       "Builtin Default ati Device 0"
                Driver   "ati"  
        EndSection

How can I remove xorg and start from scratch?

Thank you everyone. I fixed by doing
Code:
# pkg_delete xorg-7.5
then I did
Code:
pkg_add -r xorg

Mouse & touchpad are working good but I dont know how to get KDE in my user account, I only have Xterm as x display there

Thank you all. It is all good now, looks like FreeBSD is in peace with me at the moment.
Can please a mod set this thread as SOLVED. I dont know how to do that.:)

restart moused

Hi,

I too was facing issue of mouse not working when waking from suspend. Everything else was working fine.

I tried executing
Code:
sudo /etc/rc.d/moused start
This gave me same device busy error.

Executing the following made my mouse usable! ;)
Code:
sudo /etc/rc.d/moused restart
Also, if somebody knows how to restart moused on wake up from suspend without manually executing it, please let me know.

Note: I am not sure if its ok to post on a solved thread. I am posting this hoping somebody might benefit from this.

-Adam

Back