Solved Mouse not working after upgrading to 13.2-RELEASE

After updating my system to 13.2-RELEASE, I had to modify my /etc/make.conf to include agp support so that i915kms would load. Upon rebuilding the kernel, I have X running again, but now the mouse isn't moving at all. It strikes me as odd that I needed to modify /etc/make.conf to include agp support. I'm not sure how that happened, it should seem that X should not have worked before.

My Xorg log indicates to me that it is indeed picking up the mouse:

I also tried enabling moused; however, that is looking for /dev/psmouse. I also tried setting that to /dev/sysmouse and /dev/event/input0, but neither worked. I checked my original configuration, and I previously had not enabled moused, so that was not needed before.

What am I missing here, this seems familiar. I'm on the machine now, using the keyboard to navigate a browser :).

Attachments

• Xorg.0.log.txt
    36.3 KB · Views: 66
I had to modify my /etc/make.conf to include agp support
What did you modify? Keep in mind that this file is normally empty.

It strikes me as odd that I needed to modify /etc/make.conf to include agp support.
It's odd you are modifying that file at all.

Simplest troubleshooting, remove everything in /etc/make.conf and use the GENERIC kernel.

I have been using a custom kernel for quite some time and have done many updates prior to the release upgrade. My modules override has:

cpuctl zfs opensolaris geom aesni acpi pf mac_ntpd vmm if_bridge if_tuntap nmdm linux linux_common fusefs if_epair agp hid

I added agp to fix X not starting and hid as a last ditch effort to get the mouse working.

I use a custom kernel because I do traffic shaping, that's it.

device agp is typically set in the kernel config, it's statically linked in the GENERIC kernel. I would suggest reviewing your 'custom' kernel configuration.

It seems my original kernel conf is quite different from the one in /usr/src, but they should be identical or nearly identical.

That was it, I'm not sure how the configuration was changed or when because I had very recently rebuilt the kernel for another update. Copying the original kernel configuration fixed the issue. I didn't look there because I had not expected it to change.

Copying the original kernel configuration fixed the issue.
Don't copy it, you'll run into the same issue again after a few years.

Instead, include GENERIC in your own configuration and then only add (no)options / (no)device for what you want to change from GENERIC.

"custom" kernel configs created by copying GENERIC and modifying it are bad in terms of upgrading; use overrides for GENERIC instead:
Code:
include GENERIC
ident MYKERNEL

options ...
nooptions ...

device ...
nodevice ...

Yes, you're right. I will update my configuration to reference it as you suggest. That is the best way to do it.

I suppose it must have been automatically merged and I didn't notice. While it is still fresh in my memory, I will make that change today. Thanks very much for the tips.

I rebuilt the kernel and booted into the new system using the above approach (include, ident, options, nooptions, device, and nodevice).

Thanks,

Just checked the handbook, because I remember it only contained the "copy GENERIC" method previously. Well, at least it now mentions the "include" method as well, which is way superior. I'd vote for removing the "copy GENERIC" method altogether, cause it will cause problems in the long run ...

Back