Solved mouse cursor in the middle of the screen

Hello,

I have a server running FreeBSD, on which there is neither a mouse connected nor moused enabled.
But the screen shows a mouse cursor right in the middle of the tty screens and I can not figure out why.

Does somebody know why and how to remove it ?

Most likely you enabled moused(8) in your /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
moused_enable="YES"
Remove that line if you don't need it.
Check that daemon's status:
Code:
service moused status

aragats Newer versions of FreeBSD don't require moused. When I enabled it on my 11-STABLE it caused problems for me, as well. If you've ever used Linux or Unix, that's how X responds to the lack of a pointing device. If aragats solution doesn't work, it may be your Xorg.conf, which also, supposedly, isn't needed in newer versions. (I still create one).

As I wrote, moused is not enabled ;-) :

# service moused status
Cannot 'status' moused. Set moused_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or use 'onestatus' instead of 'status'.

# service moused onestatus
moused is not running.

I do not use any graphical interface on this machine so, unless I am misunderstanding something, Xorg should not be involved.

Add
Code:
moused_enable="NO"
and check your devd.conf. Are there any pointing devices under /dev/? I would suspect there is one, for some reason.

It's usually the IPMI that provides emulated mouse, and moused is started by devd in this case. That's how it looks like on my supermicro system (there's no physical mouse, of course):
Code:
ums0 on uhub6
ums0: <Winbond Electronics Corp Hermon USB hidmouse Device, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.01, addr 2> on usbus6
ums0: 3 buttons and [Z] coordinates ID=0

I had this problem and eventually figured out that my fancy keyboard was also saying that it's a mouse. Fair enough, since the firmware powering it also is capable of generating mouse clicks and cursor movement.

I disabled this by adding
Makefile:
MOUSEKEY_ENABLE = no
and
Makefile:
POINTING_DEVICE_ENABLE = no
to my layout's rules.mk and everything was fine after a reboot. It's possible that only the latter is necessary, though, since adding that after the first one was the thing that made it all work.

Back