Mounting USB External Hard drive

Hello all,

I appreciate all the help Ive gotten so far on these forums. Maybe you can do it again!

I recently had my backup server crash, so I am resorting to just copying our files to a 3TB USB drive until the back up is up and running again. However, I am having troubles mounting it. I have it plugged in, and have figured out that it is device /dev/da1 or dev/da1s1, I think it is da1s1, because If I remember correctly, thats the specific partition Im trying to mount.

Anyways, I know I need ntfs-3g installed, but I get an error when I try and install it by going to :
Code:
cd /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs

and running :
Code:
sudo make clean install

I get the following error :
Code:
===>   fusefs-ntfs-2011.4.12_1 depends on package: fusefs-libs>=2.7.2 - found
===>   fusefs-ntfs-2011.4.12_1 depends on package: libtool>=2.4 - not found
===>   Found libtool-2.2.10, but you need to upgrade to libtool>=2.4.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs.

Could someone help me update libtools? And would that affect anything on the system?

Thanks!

Also, using FreeBSD 8.1 Release

I should also note, I do not care if it is NTFS formatted. Nothing is on the external HDD right now. If Someone could help me format it to EXT or something that freebsd likes better, that is fine by me.

Thanks again!

In the past, I've started with man gjournal (the EXAMPLES) but more better ways could exist... even a method maybe posted this week to the freebsd-questions list (IIRC).

Can someone help me format it to UFS? It is currently NTFS. Am I going to have to mount it first? I dont have anything on there I need to keep.

Sorry this is such a basic question, I really suck at freeBSD...

I have found a tutorial here : http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/disks-adding.html , and it suggests this:

Code:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da1 bs=1k count=1
# bsdlabel -Bw da1 auto
# bsdlabel -e da1				# create the `e' partition
# newfs /dev/da1e
# mkdir -p /1
# vi /etc/fstab				# add an entry for /dev/da1e
# mount /1

Does that seem right to you guys? Im worried about using it, because I have no idea what the /dev/zero is, or what the count=1 is supposed to do.

You could use gpart as well no? Assuming that your usb device is da0, you could do something like this:
Code:
#gpart destroy -F da0
#gpart create -s gpt da0
#gpart add -t freebsd-ufs da0
#newfs -O2 -U -j /dev/da0p1

Since it is a new drive, I don't think that the use of dd would be required.

When i try
Code:
#gpart destroy -F da0

I get:
Code:
$ gpart destroy -F da1
gpart: illegal option -- F
usage: gpart add [-b start] [-s size] -t type [-i index] [-l label] [-f flags] geom
       gpart bootcode [-b bootcode] [-p partcode] [-i index] [-f flags] geom
       gpart commit geom
       gpart create -s scheme [-n entries] [-f flags] provider
       gpart delete -i index [-f flags] geom
       gpart destroy [-f flags] geom
       gpart modify -i index [-l label] [-t type] [-f flags] geom
       gpart set -a attrib -i index [-f flags] geom
       gpart show [-lr] [geom ...]
       gpart undo geom
       gpart unset -a attrib -i index [-f flags] geom
       gpart help
       gpart list [name ...]
       gpart status [-s] [name ...]
       gpart load [-v]
       gpart unload [-v]

Maybe its an older version of gpart?

Also if I try and go ahead with the next line:

Code:
$ sudo gpart create -s gpt da1
gpart: geom 'da1': File exists

Can you give the output of the follwoing command:
Code:
#gpart show

Depending on that output, you should do the following:
Code:
#gpart delete -i 2 da0
#gpart delete -i 1 da0
#gpart destroy -F da0

The you could procede with what I wrote above. A good how to written by ~wblock@ can be found here.

Older versions of gpart(8) don't have -F. They won't let a partition table be destroyed until all the individual partitions have been deleted.

I would not enable soft updates journaling with -j to newfs(8). -O2 is the default, so just -U is enough.

Code:
$ gpart show
=>       63  156301425  ad16  MBR  (75G)
         63  156301425     1  freebsd  [active]  (75G)

=>        0  156301425  ad16s1  BSD  (75G)
          0    1048576       1  freebsd-ufs  (512M)
    1048576    8388608       2  freebsd-swap  (4.0G)
    9437184   10446848       4  freebsd-ufs  (5.0G)
   19884032    1048576       5  freebsd-ufs  (512M)
   20932608  135368817       6  freebsd-ufs  (65G)

=>        34  5859311549  da0  GPT  (2.7T)
          34  5859311549    1  freebsd-ufs  (2.7T)

=>       63  732566520  da1  MBR  (2.7T)
         63       1985       - free -  (7.8M)
       2048  732563456    1  !7  (2.7T)

da1 is what I need to format. Sorry, wblock, not sure what you meant by the "I would not enable soft updates journaling with -j to newfs(8). -O2 is the default, so just -U is enough." part of your post. Are you saying I should put in

Code:
newfs -U /dev/da0p1

instead of

Code:
newfs -O2 -U -j /dev/da0p1

Thanks to all so far!

mallen324 said:
Sorry, wblock, not sure what you meant by the "I would not enable soft updates journaling with -j to newfs(8). -O2 is the default, so just -U is enough." part of your post. Are you saying I should put in

Code:
newfs -U /dev/da0p1

instead of

Code:
newfs -O2 -U -j /dev/da0p1

Thanks to all so far!

Yes, -O2 is not needed, and I would not use -j for a backup drive.

Sorry for the late response/update. I am going to put FreeBSD 9 on a laptop and get it formatted that way. Didn't feel comfortable working on formatting HDs on our production server.

I'll update asap.

Thanks again all!

After having a terrible time getting a live cd to work, I'm just gonna buckle down and do it on our production machine. I know the HDD is da1 anyways. I plugged the HDD into a windows machine and deleted the NTFS partition, so in my /dev list it only pops up as da1, no da1s1 anymore.

Here's my output of the suggestions so far:

Code:
$ sudo gpart create -s gpt da1
gpart: geom 'da1': File exists
$ sudo gpart delete -i 2 da1
gpart: index '2': No such file or directory
$ sudo gpart delete -i 1 da1
gpart: index '1': No such file or directory
$ sudo newfs -U /dev/da1p1
newfs: /dev/da1p1: could not find special device

Any suggestions? I wish my gpart could use the -F flag.

mallen324 said:
Any suggestions? I wish my gpart could use the -F flag.

Upgrade to 8.3, that does have that flag. FreeBSD 8.1 has been End-of-Life since July 2012.

UPDATE!:

I used what I had found earlier, tweaked it a bit and I now have it mounted. Here is what I did:

Code:
# bsdlabel -Bw da1 auto
# newfs /dev/da1a
# mkdir -/mnt/seagate
# mount /dev/da1a /mnt/seagate

Now when I show df -h:

Code:
Filesystem      Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
*** Other stuff editted out ***
/dev/da1a       2.7T    8.0K    2.5T     0%    /mnt/seagate

So I guess success right? Now I just gotta figure out a good backup plan. I'm thinking rsync...

SirDice said:
Upgrade to 8.3, that does have that flag. FreeBSD 8.1 has been End-of-Life since July 2012.

Could you provide me some a link to documentation on upgrading / how to upgrade? I'd like to read what I'm getting into before jumping in. Thanks!

One other thing to consider:

Being a 3TB hard disk, it is certainly an "Advanced Format" disk, which uses 4KB-sized sectors internally (although still probably reports 512B sectors when queried).

Because of this, it's important to ensure that your partitions are aligned to a multiple of 4KB for optimal performance. The 'gpart' instructions you were given earlier didn't take that into account.

Assuming this is the current partitioning of your disk...

Code:
=>        34  5859311549  da0  GPT  (2.7T)
          34  5859311549    1  freebsd-ufs  (2.7T)

and assuming that you've not yet copied any files onto the disk, do the following:

# gpart delete -i 1 da0
# gpart add -b 64 -t freebsd-ufs da0
# newfs -U /dev/da0p1

This will delete the partition, then create a new one with an offset of 64 512B sectors, which will be aligned to the underlying 4KB sectors.

EDIT: I've just noticed you've switched to using bsdlabel partitions, which makes my suggestion moot.

Thanks Jem!

Just did so, and remounting it now!

This look like the right command to backup my /home directory to my backup drive?
Code:
sudo rsync -av --delete /home /mnt/seagate/backup

mallen324 said:
UPDATE!:

I used what I had found earlier, tweaked it a bit and I now have it mounted. Here is what I did:

Code:
# bsdlabel -Bw da1 auto
# newfs /dev/da1a
# mkdir -/mnt/seagate
# mount /dev/da1a /mnt/seagate

Now when I show df -h:

Code:
Filesystem      Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
*** Other stuff editted out ***
/dev/da1a       2.7T    8.0K    2.5T     0%    /mnt/seagate

So I guess success right? Now I just gotta figure out a good backup plan. I'm thinking rsync...

The problem with using bsdlabel(8) on large drives is that it doesn't align partitions to 4K blocks. So performance can be reduced drastically, like by half. It's worth fixing that before copying data to that drive. The way you fix it is to use gpart(8) with -a. You were already there in a previous post.

wblock@ said:
The problem with using bsdlabel(8) on large drives is that it doesn't align partitions to 4K blocks. So performance can be reduced drastically, like by half. It's worth fixing that before copying data to that drive. The way you fix it is to use gpart(8) with -a. You were already there in a previous post.

As Jem suggested, I did the following:

Code:
# gpart delete -i 1 da1
# gpart add -b 64 -t freebsd-ufs da1
# newfs -U /dev/da1a

Do you think I should redo it again with the -a flag? and would I do that in the 2nd line there, like so?:

Code:
# gpart add -[B]a[/B]b 64 -t freebsd-ufs da1

Is there a way to check if this has already been done? As in, see if is in 4K blocks already. I would also like to check and see if my/home directory ( a raid array) is set up that way. Thing kinda has performance issues, but it's also got like 30+ users pounding it all the time.

Use
% gpart show da1

Here's an example:
Code:
% gpart show ada1
=>        34  1953525101  ada1  GPT  (931G)
          34           6        - free -  (3.0k)
          40  1953525088     1  freebsd-ufs  (931G)
  1953525128           7        - free -  (3.5k)

There is 3K of unused space, and then the single partition starts at block 40. 40*512 is 20480, evenly divisible by 4096, so that partition is aligned. There's nothing magic about block 40, it was just the next even 4K alignment after the first 34 blocks were used for the partition table. The partition size is also an even multiple of 4K.

-a isn't magic, either. It takes a numeric value and rounds partition starting locations and sizes to even multiples of that value. If those values are already even multiples, they are not changed.

So this partition is most easily created with
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -a4k ada1

But it could also have been done like this:
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs -b40 -s1953525088 ada1

Both ways produce the same partition, starting at an 4K-aligned block and an even multiple of 4K in size.

Back