Solved Mounting shared folder in FreeBDS 13 guest: VM reboots in Ubuntu 20.04 host

Hi grahmperrin, confirm that these conditions are in place:
guest additions installed, vboxguest_enable ="YES" + vboxservice_enable="YES" in rc.conf , and VboxSvga in Virtualbox guest graphics settings

mauror You probably ran out of space because you started pulling graphical dependencies. The virtual disk is small, you do need to expand it and then expand the FS in the VM. I wanted you to do a quick test in that VM so we'd be testing the same VM.

Anyway I did find the bug in that kernel module, my patch was committed and is already in the ports. That module though has other issues that would require deeper understanding (and possibly full module rewrite). But at least now system doesn't crash randomly.

mauror You probably ran out of space because you started pulling graphical dependencies. The virtual disk is small, you do need to expand it and then expand the FS in the VM. I wanted you to do a quick test in that VM so we'd be testing the same VM.

Anyway I did find the bug in that kernel module, my patch was committed and is already in the ports. That module though has other issues that would require deeper understanding (and possibly full module rewrite). But at least now system doesn't crash randomly.

ok, I was following your findings in the bugzilla thread, but waiting for a working patch to test, do you mean that I can actually apply this? Can you tell how, in case I can afford such task?
I remind my situation in case it can help somehow:

-Freebsd 13 installed same way in 3 different USB pendrive, two of them by 128 Gb, one by 256 Gb
-Both in Windows 10 and Ubuntu 20.04 I've have created a Virtualbox raw disk guest machine by 256 Gb, which actually boots and handle as FreeBSD guest machine any of my three pendrive (when connected).
-Windows 10: FreeBSD guest boots, runs, and use all Virtualbox available features.
-Ubuntu 20.04: FreeBSD guest boots, runs, and use almost all Virtualbox available features , except the Virtualbox shared folder, when -after having activated it by the command string-I attempt to browse the folder from inside the guest machine, it just reboots.

The two Virtualbox installation and settings (Windows/Ubuntu) are identical

If you install VirtualBox from ports my patch is already included there, you don't need to apply anything. You just need to upgrade the package. I'm not sure how often the binary packages get updated, I use them seldom.

If you install VirtualBox from ports my patch is already included there, you don't need to apply anything. You just need to upgrade the package. I'm not sure how often the binary packages get updated, I use them seldom.
mean the package virtualbox-ose-addition ?

Back