mounting ntfs portion of hard drive

I have a dual boot system on a Toshiba Laptop L665. It is Windows 7 home premium and FreeBSD 9.1 release. How do I get an accurate list of the partitions on the hard drive when I am using the FreeBSD half? I have tried gpart show -l but when I try to use mount_ntfs I am told there is no such filesystem. The command I type in is mount_ntfs /dev/ada2 /mnt.

Try gpart list or gpart status. If you still can't mount that partition, post the output of that command. But I guess you should type ada2s1 instead of ada2.

Progress

Yes, gpart list identifies the NTFS portion of the drive as ada0s2. However, in the Xfce4 window manager, when I go to a terminal window, type in su and the password, and the command mount_ntfs /dev/ada0s2 /mnt, I am given the reply
Code:
operation not permitted

I am trying to access the NTFS portion of the drive so that I can copy some files and place them in the FreeBSD portion of the drive.

Could you please show us the output of gpart list and file /dev/ada0s2?

I am trying to access the NTFS portion of the drive so that I can copy some files and place them in the FreeBSD portion of the drive.

You can't mount an NTFS partition as rw using mount_ntfs. However there is sysutils/fusefs-ntfs that lets you mount an NTFS partition as rw. But don't use that. Because that port is a reverse-engineered tool. It's better to use a FAT partition.

If you hit "<ctrl> + <alt> + <F1>" keys, it will take you to tty0 screen where dmesg+ output is displayed (dmesg+ because tty0 shows more than what is logged in dmesg)

mount will show details of the mount error in tty0 like needs file-check, etc.

If I'm right understood your issue, here is few steps to solve it.

# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs && make BATCH=yes install clean

You will need src-all in your /etc/scr. You can find examples here (in Rus, sorry).

Then add to /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
fusefs_enable="YES"

Now run it:

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fusefs start

Now - make dir for NTFS partition, for example:

# mkdir /mnt/ntfs

Now - you can mount your NTFS in rw mode:

# ntfs-3g -o rw,locale=ru_RU.UTF-8 /dev/ada0s3 /mnt/ntfs

Change locale to yours :)

After all - add to /etc/fstab:

Code:
/dev/ada0s3     /mnt/ntfs       ntfs-3g rw,late,locale=ru_RU.UTF-8, mountprog=/usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g 0       0

setevoy said:
# cd /usr/ports/sysutils/fusefs-ntfs && make BATCH=yes install clean

Please do not use BATCH routinely. It prevents the port from asking for options, and is for use when compiling things in batch mode.

You will need src-all in your /etc/scr. You can find examples here (in Rus, sorry).

CVS will eventually go away for source. Time to switch to SVN. freebsd-update(8) can also fetch system source.

Now run it:

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/fusefs start

service(8) makes that a bit easier:
# service fusefs start

Back