Solved Mounting internal NTFS storage drive

I've used Linux(Debian,Fedora) mostly over the years, am not experienced with the BSDs so much, recently install TrueOS. I've "googled-for-answers" to determine how to mount the internal storage drive, which is formatted as NTFS. I've install ntfs-3g, fusefs-ntfs and tried to mount the drive
Code:
ntfs-3g /dev/ad0 /mnt/storedata
with no success.

Looking at the output of "gpart show" I noticed the TrueOS disk is GPT and the NTFS storage disk is MBR

Code:
=>        63  1953525105  ada0  MBR  (932G)
          63        1985        - free -  (993K)
        2048  1953521664     1  ntfs  (932G)
  1953523712        1456        - free -  (728K)

=>       40  488388832  ada1  GPT  (233G)
         40        512     1  freebsd-boot  (256K)
        552  479979520     2  freebsd-zfs  (229G)
  479980072    8388608     3  freebsd-swap  (4.0G)
  488368680      20192        - free -  (9.9M)

Does that explain the problem, or am I missing something further required, for mounting the storage partition?

Thanks for the link to the other BSD derivatives, I didn't realized TrueOS was that significantly different from FreeBSD, and didn't know of the TrueOS forum.

I also wanted to throw in a suggestion here.
gpart shows partition names with the -p option. It can be quite handy when you have more than one partition or slice.
gpart show -p /dev/ada0s1
-p Show provider names instead of partition indexes.

The command you want is:

ntfs-3g /dev/ada0s1 /mnt/storedata

Because the partition you want to mount is in the first drive ada0 first slice s1

FreeBSD Handbook - 3.6 Disk Organization

I recommend to use -o ro to mount it readonly at first and read ntfs-3g man pages for more options and details.

Yes, thanks. I had done that but it made no difference while in the Mate DE, when I logged out and logged back into Lumina I found my storedata drive mounted. I don't know why it would matter which DE is booted, but I'm glad to have access to my files.

I've used Linux(Debian,Fedora) mostly over the years, am not experienced with the BSDs so much, recently install TrueOS. I've "googled-for-answers" to determine how to mount the internal storage drive, which is formatted as NTFS. I've install ntfs-3g, fusefs-ntfs and tried to mount the drive
Code:
ntfs-3g /dev/ad0 /mnt/storedata
with no success.

Thank you for this thread! I used FreeBSD as my main OS between versions 4.6 and 5.2 and
Code:
mount -t ntfs /dev/disk_and_partition /mnt/whatever
always worked like a charm. I returned to FreeBSD now, and I couldn't mount my external (USB-mounted) drives with the old method. Luckily, the
Code:
ntfs-3g ... ... ...
works fine. Now I can get rid of the Linux installed on my other internal drive and install something more ... challenging!

Back