Mounting a drive

Hello,

I have just upgraded from Linux to FreeBSD and I'm liking it. I've been having a few problems with it, I might as well ask them in one thread.

One Problem:
I've been trying to mount a drive that is built in to my server, it is holding all the files from when I backed up Linux before I overwrote it with FreeBSD. The drive did not mount itself (maybe it wasn't supposed to) and I'm not sure how to get it to mount.
Each time I try mounting the drive it says

Code:
[root@jakeserver ~]# mount -r /dev/da1s1 /mnt
mount: /dev/da1s1 : Invalid argument

Second Problem:
I have a Belkin MIMO G+ WLAN adapter, I am unsure how to set up connect it to the WLAN at my home. I don't know where to begin either.

About mounting the drive:

I was trying to mount the wrong drive.
But when I try to mount the correct drive I get this:

Code:
[root@jakeserver ~]$ mount -r /dev/amr0 /mnt
mount: /dev/amr0 : Block device required

well try
mount -t ext2fs ....
mount -t msdosfs ....
as rooot

btw what kind of drive are you using, i have never seen /dev/amr0...

msdosfs worked for the flash drive I was trying to mount, but the amr0 didn't work for either.

amr0 is LSI Logic MegaRAID ?
90% sure that's what it's called.

how do you rebuild the kernel?
also, I'm unsure if it's a raid or disk
it may be unsupported. I need some files from it though, seeing that I backed up linux onto it.

speed said:
maybe you need to build the kernel with "options EXT2FS", then try to use "mount -t ext2fs ....".

No need to rebuild the kernel, kldload ext2fs should work. It'll be loaded automagically when you use mount -t ext2fs.

SirDice said:
As for the error when mounting amr0, you are trying to mount the entire disk not a slice (aka PC BIOS partition). Try amr0s1 or have a look with fdisk amr0 to see what slices exist (if any).

mount: /dev/amr0s1 : No such file or directory

I don't see any slices for amr0 in /dev/
But I do see slices for amrd0
althought after mounting amrd0s1,

In /mnt, I find stuff about the dell partition system, which came with my server's BIOS, I really shouldn't touch it.

So yea, that wasn't what I backed up. The fedora backup must be in amr0, but no slices in it.

Code:
[root@jakeserver ~]# fdisk amr0
fdisk: could not detect sector size

disk isn't compatible with freebsd?

xsiick said:
I don't see any slices for amr0 in /dev/
But I do see slices for amrd0
althought after mounting amrd0s1,

In /mnt, I find stuff about the dell partition system, which came with my server's BIOS, I really shouldn't touch it.

So yea, that wasn't what I backed up. The fedora backup must be in amr0, but no slices in it.
Ok.. The first slice might be the Dell BIOS bit. Your stuff is probably one of the other slices.

What does the output of fdisk amrd0 say?

According to xsiick's dmesg:

Code:
GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider amrd0s1 is msdosfs/DellUtility.

So the wrong mount command is being given.

It should work by running:

Code:
# mount -t msdosfs -v /dev/amrd0s1 /mnt

xsiick what exactly do you want to mount? The Dell partition? Or is it an external USB HDD?

If it is the external HDD in your dmesg, run:
Code:
# mount -t msdosfs -o large /dev/da2s1 /mnt

Btw, post your /etc/fstab. Your dmesg is spitting out some errors.

Alright, so:

I've figured out (with fdisk amrd0) that all the files that were backed up
from my old linux machine are on amrd0s3,
I need to figure out how to mount that drive.

Code:
[root@jakeserver ~]# mount -t msdosfs -v /dev/amrd0s3 /mnt
mount_msdosfs: /dev/amrd0s3: : Invalid argument

Once I figure out how to mount amrd0s3, I will be able to access
all of my old files.

Code:
[root@jakeserver ~]# mount -t msdosfs -v /dev/amrd0s3 /mnt
mount_msdosfs: /dev/amrd0s3: : Invalid argument
/dev/da0s1a on / (ufs, local, fsid 7601ea499df63b8c)

Please read what he's posted. :) /dev/amrd0s1 is the Dell system partition. Stop telling him to mount that various ways, he's already mounted it and determined it's not what he wants.

What's the output of ls /dev/amrd*? That will list all the amrd devices, and all the slices on those devices. Most likely, there will either be an amrd0s2 or an amrd1s1. Try mounting those.

Doing an fdisk /dev/amrd0 will show all the slices on that device. Similarly, doing an fdisk /dev/amrd1 will show all the slices on that device. And so on, if there are any other amrd* devices.

If these are FAT-formatted slices, use mount -t msdosfs.

If these are ext2- or ext3-formatted slices, use mount -t ext2fs. Note: if the ext2 filesystem uses 256-byte inodes, you won't be able to mount it. FreeBSD only natively supports ext2 with 128-byte inodes.

If these are ntfs-formatted slices, use mount -t ntfs. If you need write-access, you'll want to install the ntfs-3g port.

And so on, depending on the filesystem used on the slice. FreeBSD also supports read-only access to ReiserFS, and XFS.

i m mount same way and working but when i m restart the system is mount is erasing only have drive letter and inside is empty

how can i do my mount fixed for see auto mounted all starting my system ..

thank you

phoenix said:
Please read what he's posted. :) /dev/amrd0s1 is the Dell system partition. Stop telling him to mount that various ways, he's already mounted it and determined it's not what he wants.

What's the output of ls /dev/amrd*? That will list all the amrd devices, and all the slices on those devices. Most likely, there will either be an amrd0s2 or an amrd1s1. Try mounting those.

Doing an fdisk /dev/amrd0 will show all the slices on that device. Similarly, doing an fdisk /dev/amrd1 will show all the slices on that device. And so on, if there are any other amrd* devices.

If these are FAT-formatted slices, use mount -t msdosfs.

If these are ext2- or ext3-formatted slices, use mount -t ext2fs. Note: if the ext2 filesystem uses 256-byte inodes, you won't be able to mount it. FreeBSD only natively supports ext2 with 128-byte inodes.

If these are ntfs-formatted slices, use mount -t ntfs. If you need write-access, you'll want to install the ntfs-3g port.

And so on, depending on the filesystem used on the slice. FreeBSD also supports read-only access to ReiserFS, and XFS.

Thank you Phoenix, this was a very helpful post.
I am still having an issue however. I am unsure what fs the drive is, and I am also unsure how to determine what fs it is.

If it is ntfs, and I need to install the package, then i would
need to connect to the internet which I haven't figured out yet.

I would rather figure out how to connect it to the internet
before doing anything else.

I originally issued two problems in
this thread post, but have only tried dealing with one, if
anyone could help me with the second reason I posted this so I
could install the ntfs package, that would be fantastic!

Back