mount_smbfs unable to open connection: syserr = connection reset by peer

Hi,

My problem is that mount_smbfs is consistently returning an error when I try to connect from FreeBSD 12.1

error on server 192.168.6.7
mount_smbfs -I 192.168.6.7 //adminstrator@192.168.6.7/testscrum /mnt/net

After a while returns:
unable to open connection : syserr = connection reset by peer
mount -t smbf --> no error

error on server 192.168.6.70
mount_smbfs -I 192.168.6.70 //adminstrator@192.168.6.70/mehri /mnt/net
After a while returns:
unable to open connection : syserr = Authention error

SMBv1 has been turned off on all Windows versions.
Might add: for security reasons.

IMHO, mount_smbfs(8) should be removed. At least unless someone implements "modern" SMB support. In its current state, it's just useless.

There are some SMBv2/SMBv3 client implementations in ports. In my experience, they all suffer from performance and reliability problems. If you want to use FreeBSD as a client for network shares, currently the only sane option (IMHO) is NFS. There are NFS servers available even for Windows.

Might add: for security reasons.
Yes. To stress this point, do NOT enable SMBv1 again on your windows machines. There's a truckload of malware/ransomware that abuses the faults inherent in SMBv1. Which is why Microsoft decided to turn off this old protocol. It will eventually be completely removed from Windows.

Later, from Ned Pyle (Published Apr 19 2022), SMB1 now disabled by default for Windows 11 Home Insiders builds
This means there is no edition of Windows 11 Insider that has any part of SMB1 enabled by default anymore. At the next major release of Windows 11, that will be the default behavior as well. Like always, this doesn't affect in-place upgrades of machines where you were already using SMB1. SMB1 is not gone here, an admin can still intentionally reinstall it.

This is not the final story, though: I am also announcing that we are going to remove the SMB1 binaries in a future release. Windows and Windows Server will no longer include the drivers and DLLs of SMB1. We will provide an out-of-band unsupported install package for organizations or users that still need SMB1 to connect to old factory machinery, medical gear, consumer NAS, etc. - I'll have more details on this in a few months.
[..] IMHO, mount_smbfs(8) should be removed. At least unless someone implements "modern" SMB support. In its current state, it's just useless.
I think that would be appropriate.

Back