• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

mount_smbfs: FreeBSD client can't view mounted shares of Illumos CIFS server

LSDave

Member


Messages: 22

#1
I have an OpenIndiana fileserver, running Solaris CIFS service in Domain Mode (or in Samba-speak, security = ads). It serves Windows clients without problem, but when I mount the shares on a FreeBSD 10.1 client using mount_smbfs, the command appears to work but the mountpoint remains empty.

On the OpenIndiana server, I have created and shared a zfs filesystem. For this troubleshooting exercise, I granted full permissions.
Code:
OIserver# zfs create -o casesensitivity=mixed -o nbmand=on rpool/testfs
OIserver# touch /rpool/testfs/foo
OIserver# touch /rpool/testfs/foo.bar
OIserver# chmod -R 777 /rpool/testfs
I share the filesystem.
Code:
OIserver# zfs set sharesmb=on rpool/testpool
OIserver# zfs set sharesmb=name=testpool rpool/testpool
Next, I confirmed it's accessible from Windows clients. Back on the OpenIndiana server, I confirm the share's status:
Code:
OIserver# sharemgr show –vp
[...]
  zfs/rpool/testfs smb=()
[INDENT]  testfs=/rpool/testfs[/INDENT]
I should add that on the OIserver, kinit tests perfectly.

Now to the FreeBSD client, which is a barebones installation intended to host jails, and is NOT joined to any domain. It is current.
Code:
root@LANjailhost:/ # freebsd-version -ku
10.1-RELEASE-p10
10.1-RELEASE-p14
Configured hosts file:
Code:
root@LANjailhost:/ # cat /etc/hosts
::1  localhost localhost.my.domain
127.0.0.1  localhost localhost.my.domain
127.0.0.1  LANjailhost $LANjailhost.redacted.domain.com

# DMZ Hosts
#10.0.0.2  myname.my.domain myname
#10.0.0.3  myfriend.my.domain myfriend
10.0.28.3  webdns

#LAN Hosts
192.168.5.7  oiserver oiserver.redacted.domain.com
192.168.5.107  vault01 vault01.redacted.domain.com
192.168.5.200  LANjailhost.redacted.domain.com
192.168.5.201  btm.redacted.domain.com
When I run mount_smbfs, I enter the password when prompted and the command appears to succeed:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/testfs
root@LANjailhost:/mnt #mount_smbfs -W {REDACTED} //{PrivilegedWinUser}@oiserver/testfs /mnt/testfs
Password:
root@LANjailhost:/mnt #
Listing mounted file systems on the client shows:
Code:
[...]
//{PRIVILEGEDWINUSER}@OISERVER/TESTFS on /mnt/testfs (smbfs)
If I check free space, testfs is detected and the free space reading is accurate:
Code:
root@LANjailhost:/mnt # df -H
[...]
//{PRIVILEGEDWINUSER}@OISERVER/TESTFS  2.1G  48k  2.1G  0%  /mnt/testfs
But when I navigate to the mount location, it appears empty:
Code:
root@LANjailhost:/mnt # cd testfs/
root@LANjailhost:/mnt/testfs # ls -l
total 0
root@LANjailhost:/mnt/testfs #
I know there are files there, and I created some new ones from a Windows client.

Questions:
1. I’ve read that SMB protocol used by Solaris is SMB v1, and FreeBSD uses something newer. Could that be the cause? How can I find out?
2. What log(s) should I be viewing to gather more clues?
3. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try next to gather more info?

Many thanks.

LSDave
 

LSDave

Member


Messages: 22

#4
Bump, with some new clues:

1) From the mount point, I can actually cd into shared sub-directories, and even create files (which I can see from the server and Windows clients). I still cannot list any contents.

2) When I attempt ls command, or when I use Tab to complete a path under the mount point, the following errors appear in the console:
Code:
md_get_mem(476): incomplete copy
md_get_mem(476): incomplete copy
md_get_mem(476): incomplete copy
md_get_mem(476): incomplete copy
md_get_mem(476): incomplete copy
md_get_mem(476): incomplete copy
md_get_mem(476): incomplete copy
md_get_mem(476): incomplete copy
md_get_mem(476): incomplete copy
md_get_mem(476): incomplete copy
md_get_mem(476): incomplete copy
smbfs_findnextLM2: out of sync.
The problem has not resolved with upgrade to 10.2-RELEASE.
Code:
root@LANjailhost:/ # freebsd-version -ku
10.2-RELEASE
10.2-RELEASE-p1
 

thedonald

New Member


Messages: 1

#5
I am having this problem as well...still not resolved in version 11.0

Code:
$ freebsd-version -ku
11.0-RELEASE-p1
11.0-RELEASE-p1
I found that message repeated in a log file... now, I just can't find the log file again to post it... but the error message "md_get_mem(476): incomplete copy" was exactly the same.....
 

LSDave

Member


Messages: 22

#6
Wow, funny timing for this thread resurrection. I was just reading it the other day.

I never fixed it, and moved on to a more complicated NFS solution. But recently I was rebuilding some lab computers and had a chance to try again with FreeBSD 11 as client accessing OpenIndiana SMB server. And yes, the problem indeed remains.

I can't believe we are the only people complaining about it.
 

durval

New Member


Messages: 1

#7
Hello Everyone,

I have the same message (only the line number changed) on my FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE machine here:
Code:
Feb 24 13:35:42 nas md_get_mem(477): incomplete copy
This gets logged to dmesg, from where it gets picked up by syslog and sent to the log files (and my console, where I noticed it).

To be sent to the console, this supposedly has a pretty high syslog priority, and this has me really worried.

Certainly not a coincidence, it has happened while copying a very large (15TB and tens of millions of files) from a dedicated NAS via a SMB share mounted on the FreeBSD machine (with mount_smbfs).

I tried investigating this more and (due to my reading of md_get_mem(9) and the mbuf(9) it points to), I think this is related to the kernel hitting some error while copying SMB packets around.

Would really like more information as to the root cause, severity and what can/should be done to fix it.

Cheers,
--
Durval.
 
Top