Mount problems

hello everyone, i've been using freebsd for the past couple of weeks, but I have a couple of very annoying problems that i cant figure out

1. videos from my usb camera are messed up, i cant mount the device but mplayer shows that the video is messed up, but it works fine on linux

2. cant eject cd after putting one in, cant remount anything until i restart hal, seems to hang

thanks in advance everyone

Well, I don't have HAL, but I've got the 2nd problem, too sometimes.

What I do is:
Code:
# cdcontrol
cdcontrol> eject
cdcontrol> quit

kolbycrouch said:
thanks for that, atleast i wont have to kill x everytime i need to take a cd out
Did you actually test that? I'd like to know whether it works, because we might just be having the same symptoms and not really the same problem. If the solution works for you, too, it might mean that HAL is not the cause. An alternative suspect would be (to me) gamin. I've got nothing to back this claim, this is just a feeling in my gut.

well cd's work now so i couldnt test it, havnt had my camera for a little while. one problem is that brasero and xfburn dont see blank cd's even as root

@kamikaze

I do have the same problem from time to time (no hal in here too) and usually solve it with # kill -9 cdcontrol and then press the eject button on my DVD drive ... so ... basically, yes .. there is either a [cmd=]mount[/cmd] or a [cmd=]cdcontrol[/cmd] problem, at least from 7.0-RELEASE on ...

Never cared to find out why though ..

I have it after converting a DVD with mencoder, so it's got nothing to do with mounting, but it seems to me that the driver misses somehow that the device is no longer accessed by anything.

volman

actually i have thunar-volman

i fixed my problem with the camera
cant seem to fix the brasero problem
i would actually rather use xfburn but it wont compile on my system, i can pkg_add it but it doesnt really work.

before i finish this thread, does anyone know of a gtk cd burning program, or maybe a ncurses program? and also im trying to get non-ascii characters to show up in rxvt-unicode for my zsh and bash prompt, but it doesnt work

here is the line if that helps, probably a small problem:

PS1="┌─(\$newPWD)────────────(\$(date \"+%H:%M\"))───┐\n└─(\u@\h \$)─> "

Back