Solved Mount Error 19 Device not found but gpart sees HDD

I have a FreeBSD 11.3 machine having an network issue so I was troubleshooting it due to a common dhclient error pattern, I've added these two lines to the loader.conf file:

Code:
hw.bge.allow_asf=0

hw.pci.enable_msi=0

When the machine reboots, mountroot came back with the error 19 from ufs:/dev/ada0p2 with the following loader variable:

Code:
vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ada0p2

vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

Here's some additional details during the prompt menu which exhibits a kernel panic:

Code:
panic: mountroot: unable to (re-)mount root
cpuid = 1
KDB: stack backtrace
#0 ....at kdb.backtrace+0x67
#1 ....at vpanic+0x17e
#2 ....at panic+0x43
#3 ... at vfs_mountroot+0x1cf4
#4 ....at start_init+0x48
#5 ....at fork_exit+0x83
#6 .....at fork_trampoline+0xe

I don't think these two incidents are related then under the mountroot> prompt, I hit the '?' to show available devices and it only reveal the cd0 drive so I boot up FreeBSD shell from a stick and check in with gpart to see the hdd is even there.

Gpart show:

Code:
ada0 GPT (149GB)
1 freebsd-boot (512K)
2 freebsd-ufs (80G)
3 freebsd-swap (8G)

Gpart list:

Code:
Name: ada0p2
Mediasize: 80G
Sector size: 512K
Stripe size: 0
Stripe offset: 544768
Mode: r0w0e0
efimedia: HD (2, GPT..etc)
label: rootfs
type: freebsd-ufs
index:2

Gpart status doesn't seem to show any tables that are corrupted when I glance through the list and not sure what should my next action plan be as I've read through numerous threads with this similar issue but it's very situation dependent on their particular error. I'll continue to look for solution and if there's any ideas I would appreciate your feedback.

Thank you.

This looks suspicious. I can't seem to find any reference to the setting.
hw.pci.enable_msf=0
Have you tried commenting this out?
When I look at the source code I see no /usr/src/sys/dev/msf/ directory.
So this might be a typo.

Yes it was, I've corrected it. I'm trying to figure out how I can mount the drive since I'm not able to get access to it from the shell since I tried mount /dev/ada0p2 /mnt, the files that exist in the mnt directory is the ones coming from the USB as I don't see my files there and all the configuration files is set to default.

I discovered that the Live environment was able to mount the drive and locate my files since it seems the shell wasn't able to do that for me, I removed the lines in loader.conf which the system was able to boot the drive upon reboot, I'll try to create a new thread for the network issue if I can't find a sensible solution.

Thanks for your feedback.

Back