Other More tools like sysrc in development?

It makes perfect sense to tune system variables with sysrc(). What a great tool! It sanity checks the variables are known and correct before updating the file. Tools like this are ideal for scripting installation settings without needing external packages or blind adhoc editing commands.

Unfortunately it breaks on other files with different variable conventions (ie: devices in loader.conf).

Are there plans for other sysrc style tools for other conf files (ie: /boot/loader.conf, /etc/sysctl.conf, etc).

Please don't bother with responses like "edit it by hand", "use puppet/ansible/$CFGMGR", "just sed/awk it". These methods have their place, but I'm asking specifically about the sysrc style tooling.

As I understand it, there are plans for those sorts of tools - but I don't know the state of them. I had a twitter convo with a developer some time last year who said they were working on exactly this, had built parts of a library but not the command line tool yet. Unfortunately I can't find the thread right now.

Not super helpful I realize, but I can confirm that at least one person in the world has indicated plans to work on this :)

Back