Monitor not powering down with Gnome on FreeBSD 13?

I noticed that my monitor is no longer powering down if I run Gnome - I'm running my own Poudriere builds and I can set 'Screen Blank' but it's not powering down the monitor when the timeout happens, it just goes black but the monitor is still on. Is there something I can do to get the old behavior back? I've been running FreeBSD for like decades and this is new to me. I'm using the nvidia-driver.

Gnome's screensaver settings should have a knob for enabling power save. That should turn off the monitor.

The only option under "Power Saving Options" is "Screen Blank" which I have set to 15 minutes. After 15 minutes the screen goes black, but it does not turn off the monitor.

Can you post your Xorg.0.log? I'm wondering if DPMS is turned on or not.

You can post it easily using this: cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | nc termbin.com 9999

Look for "DPMS" settings. I don't use Gnome or KDE, but in my .xinitrc I have the following:
/usr/local/bin/xset +dpms

Worst case you can create an autorun script that does that and then disable the screensaver.

It's been too long ago since I last used Gnome, but it should still come with Xscreensaver (a special Gnome build of it). Xscreensaver (the non-gnome build) complains it's too old but it does have a power management setting and my monitor certainly goes to sleep mode after 2 hours and off after 4.

Reactions: mer
Back