Enlightenment Moksha desktop

Hi. To be honest I see a remake of xfce4.
I think there is one major point of distinction between Enlightenment/Moksha and Xfce4. One of the core Xfce4 developers (Landry Bruil) is also is on the OpenBSD team. Landry's presence is likely responsible for the ease with which Xfce4 builds on the BSD's.

I email Jeff regarding systemd, pulseaudio, network-manager, etc. Although open to submitted patches, no effort was at that time, was being directed toward BSD compatibility.

Oh well, now that we have x11/lumina I think this might not be so important, but if you look from the perspective of an end user, choice is good.
FreeBSDs independence from any DE/WM is attractive for an educated user.

For instance, using the 10.2 RELEASE DVD disc(the larger one) I could install, remove KDE4, GNOME 3.x and switch within minutes.
The separation is good, for general users they can use GhostBSD which integrates the DEs.
I cannot do this on any of the *buntus, even on Debian you have to be careful if you are using things like NetworkManager, etc.

Oh well, now that we have x11/lumina I think this might not be so important, but if you look from the perspective of an end user, choice is good.
FreeBSDs independence from any DE/WM is attractive for an educated user.

For instance, using the 10.2 RELEASE DVD disc(the larger one) I could install, remove KDE4, GNOME 3.x and switch within minutes.
The separation is good, for general users they can use GhostBSD which integrates the DEs.
I cannot do this on any of the *buntus, even on Debian you have to be careful if you are using things like NetworkManager, etc.

I think the problem is growing dependence of DEs on Linux-specific, and at this point already distro-specific components. Some Linux distros don't use pulseaudio or systemd.

To the point though, I think it would be nice to have Moksha, but even more nice to have the 'legacy' e17. I'm very much an 'ain't broken, don't fix it' kind of person :).

Hi tobik, sorry, did not check the forums for a long time, currently I am "working" on pushing BSD jails(CBSD, BSDploy) as alternative to Docker, If I am going to start with Moksha, I will need sometime with this which I don't have right now... :(

I could be wrong but something made me feel that Moksha is oriented towards GNU/Linux with Systemd.

Back