MineTest - game does not start

I installed minetest_game on my FreeBSD-12.4-RELEASE-p2. I use mate. The program installed without error but it does not run.

Code:
$ minetest
[ALSOFT] (EE) Failed to set real-time priority for thread: Operation not permitted (1)
X Error of failed request:  BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  155 (NV-GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  4 ()
  Resource id in failed request:  0x3600129
  Serial number of failed request:  736
  Current serial number in output stream:  736

Am I missing a component?

Code:
[byrnejb_hll@vhost01 ~ (master)]$ sudo glxinfo
byrnejb_hll's password:
name of display: :0
X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  155 (NV-GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  4 ()
  Resource id in failed request:  0x4200004
  Serial number of failed request:  37
  Current serial number in output stream:  37

[byrnejb_hll@vhost01 ~ (master)]$ pkg info -x opengl
qt5-opengl-5.15.8p157

So you have an nvidia? Is the direct rendering kernel part installed?

The glxinfo from graphics/glx-utils just dumps core for me. Try x11/nvidia-settings:
Code:
 $ nvidia-settings -g
GLX Information for mybox:0.0:
  direct rendering: Yes
  GLX extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer,
    GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_EXT_swap_control, GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear, GLX_EXT_buffer_age,
    GLX_ARB_create_context, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, GLX_NV_float_buffer,
    GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB,
    GLX_NV_copy_image, GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile,
    GLX_ARB_create_context_no_error, GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness,
    GLX_NV_delay_before_swap, GLX_EXT_stereo_tree, GLX_ARB_context_flush_control,
    GLX_NV_robustness_video_memory_purge, GLX_NV_multigpu_context

server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
  server glx version string: 1.4
  server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig,
    GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_EXT_swap_control,
    GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_buffer_age,
    GLX_ARB_create_context, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile,
    GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_ARB_create_context_no_error,
    GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness, GLX_NV_delay_before_swap, GLX_EXT_stereo_tree,
    GLX_EXT_libglvnd, GLX_ARB_context_flush_control, GLX_NV_robustness_video_memory_purge,
    GLX_NV_multigpu_context, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float,
    GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_NV_copy_image

client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
  client glx version string: 1.4
  client glx extensions:
    GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,

This looks like there is a collision between what the nvidia GL does and what the kernel drm wants.

Assumption: The glxinfo from graphics does not match the kernel module, leading to crashes and non-functionality. Since minetest might use the same libGL or whatever, it will not work and/or crash. But I'm not up to speed with the graphics pipeline, exp. when nvidia is involved.

I just ran updates on my 13.1 machine and am now seeing the same issue. Only I see alacritty and kitty die with the `BadDrawable` error, and I can't even get `nvidia-settings -g` to run.
After Crivens' mention of possibly mismatched kernel modules, I tried to rebuild my `nvidia-driver-390` from ports (latest and current quarterly), but that failed with `/usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.src(150): Invalid %! construction`.

I just ran updates on my 13.1 machine and am now seeing the same issue. Only I see alacritty and kitty die with the `BadDrawable` error, and I can't even get `nvidia-settings -g` to run.
After Crivens' mention of possibly mismatched kernel modules, I tried to rebuild my `nvidia-driver-390` from ports (latest and current quarterly), but that failed with `/usr/src/sys/kern/vnode_if.src(150): Invalid %! construction`.
Do you need that old driver to support your hardware?

This is what I have respecting the Nvidia card in my desktop:
Code:
[root@vhost01 ~ (master)]# pkg info -x nvidia
nvidia-driver-390-390.154
nvidia-settings-470.86_1
nvidia-texture-tools-2.1.2
nvidia-xconfig-470.86

[root@vhost01 ~ (master)]# dmesg | grep -i nvidia
hdac0: <NVIDIA (0x0e0f) HDA Controller> mem 0xf7080000-0xf7083fff irq 55 at device 0.1 on pci10
hdacc0: <NVIDIA (0x0051) HDA CODEC> at cad 0 on hdac0
hdaa0: <NVIDIA (0x0051) Audio Function Group> at nid 1 on hdacc0
pcm0: <NVIDIA (0x0051) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> at nid 4 on hdaa0
pcm1: <NVIDIA (0x0051) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> at nid 5 on hdaa0
nvidia0: <GeForce GT 730> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io
vgapci0: child nvidia0 requested pci_enable_io
nvidia-modeset: Loading NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms  390.154  Wed Jun 22 04:42:19 UTC 2022

Code:
nvidia-settings

ERROR: Local version of NVML doesn't implement this function

The program 'nvidia-settings' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 984 error_code 3 request_code 155 minor_code 4)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

I'm going to guess nvidia-settings-470.86_1 does not work with nvidia-driver-390-390.154. I dunno if there's a way of installing an older nvidia-settings. At this point this looks like a problem with the old driver you and yggdrasil are using.

Back