Midnight Commander not working

11.4-RELEASE-p12

mc 4.8.26_2 installed via
Code:
pkg install mc

I don't know when it happened or after what but MC always was Ok and stable.

But now first time I lauch it is Ok but if I quit from it by pressing F10 and try to run it again from cli I get an error shown on mc-1.png and if I click mouse buttons I got some symbols in command line as in mc-2.png until I press "Control + C".

reinstalling MC via ports ends with same result
Code:
cd /usr/ports/misc/mc && make && make install

Any suggestions? Putty is used as a terminal.

Attachments

• mc-1.png
    mc-1.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 294
  • mc-2.png
    mc-2.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 291
same result

reinstalling glib has no effect

seems like the only way to make it working is run with -u key that means no subshell
Code:
#>mc -u
What shell are you using when you got this error? Do you have the same error with tcsh or bash?

As appeared problem is in shell type. If bash not a default shell MC should be run as
Code:
env SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash mc

People regularly report problems concerning mc's subshell feature. I've always compiled mc without this feature. Maybe it's time to disable it by default for binary pkgs as well.

You could open a bug report and suggest this. To support your suggestion, you can link to this forum thread in the bug report, as well as these:

People regularly report problems concerning mc's subshell feature. I've always compiled mc without this feature. Maybe it's time to disable it by default for binary pkgs as well.

You could open a bug report and suggest this. To support your suggestion, you can link to this forum thread in the bug report, as well as these:
On my opinion they should show a kind of a warning and ask to use "env SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash mc" if default shell is other than bash.

Code:
root@molly:/usr/ports # pkg info -D mc
mc-4.8.26_2:
On install:
Midnight Commander was built with subshell support, which works with most
popular shells, e.g. bash(1), dash(1), tcsh(1), zsh(1), but not sh(1) due
to its lack of "precmd" or equivalent hooks which mc(1) needs to read the
subshell's current directory.

$ env SHELL=/bin/sh mc
  common.c: unimplemented subshell type 1
  read (subshell_pty...): No such file or directory (2)

Please either use more advanced interactive shell, or start mc(1) with -u
(--nosubshell) switch if you're confined to /bin/sh for some reason.

You're not on Windows, on Unix filesystems we use a forward slash; /bin/sh.

And I would suggest setting your user's shell to tcsh(1) or install shells/bash or shells/zsh. The sh(1) shell is really spartan for interactive use.

Quarterly seems to have an older package that doesn't have this message. It was added because many people had issues with it. Short answer, change your user's shell to tcsh(1), bash(1), dash(1) or zsh(1) (everything except tcsh(1) needs to be installed separately).

Quarterly seems to have an older package that doesn't have this message. It was added because many people had issues with it. Short answer, change your user's shell to tcsh(1), bash(1), dash(1) or zsh(1) (everything except tcsh(1) needs to be installed separately).
On my opinion MC should output this message during the install.
By the way what's your opinion the best way to change locale to prevent garbled output of MC in Putty? I did that by editing .loader.conf (me:\) in home directory. Changed default "C" encoding to "UTF-8".

Code:
dice@molly:~ % pkg info -D mc
mc-4.8.26_2:
On install:
Midnight Commander was built with subshell support, which works with most
popular shells, e.g. bash(1), dash(1), tcsh(1), zsh(1), but not sh(1) due
to its lack of "precmd" or equivalent hooks which mc(1) needs to read the
subshell's current directory.

$ env SHELL=/bin/sh mc
  common.c: unimplemented subshell type 1
  read (subshell_pty...): No such file or directory (2)

Please either use more advanced interactive shell, or start mc(1) with -u
(--nosubshell) switch if you're confined to /bin/sh for some reason.

Back