Microsoft Office on FreeBSD?

It is generally supported well in Wine (the tool in video just looks like one of the *many* little GUI wrappers around the process):

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=10

The fiddly part is to use a mixed wine and wine-i386 because larger Windows programs tend to be a random mash of 32-bit and 64-bit intel executables.

https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/h...all-32-bit-and-64-bit-wine-on-the-same-system

This section in the handbook is not entirely end of story but instead the limitation can be bypassed by doing some manual extraction of packages.

OpenOffice is pretty much dead since Oracle sucked it dry and threw its corpse over the fence of the Apache Foundation...
editors/libreoffice is where pretty much all of the former OO developers are now. We've used that for well over 10 years now on all our windows clients and never looked back to any MS variant (especially Office three-fiddy). That being said: even OpenOffice is still better than the Microsoft counterparts.
But yes, wine should work if you absolutely want to run MS Office...

Yes, I remember that many years ago I launched MS Office 2003 (I think) via emulators/wine.
And it worked fine.
But I recommend you editors/openoffice-4

Update:
But I recommend you editors/libreoffice
I find that libreoffice is largely change for change's sake. There really isn't much to innovate in the office suite space that will drastically improve the work flow from even 20 years ago.

That being said, having used OOO, Libreoffice, and MS Office, when your job lives and dies with complex spreadsheets or text documents, MS Word and Excel are significantly superior products. A good documented process to run even a decently recent version (not necessarily the latest) on FreeBSD would be a tremendous boon.

I find OpenOffice so much faster these days than LibreOffice. I already maintain private copies of Gimp 2.4, Blender 2.49b and will almost certainly be picking up OpenOffice if it is dropped from ports.

I only use a fraction of features of OpenOffice so don't really care what new gimmicks LibreOffice might have introduced. Its overkill and slow. Did I mention its slow? ;)

Did you know that Office is available for free through outlook.com?
Is WPS still the most compatible with the MS suite?

Did you know that Office is available for free through outlook.com?
Is WPS still the most compatible with the MS suite?
I think some basic features are available via Office365 if you try to use www/firefox to access your Microsoft account... Last time I tried this browser-based stuff, it left me frustrated with how basic and locked-down that experience was. And, to top it off, you do have to be careful to sign out from the Microsoft account when you're done. If you don't properly sign out, MS will actually track you and your computer, even in FreeBSD's www/firefox. Fortunately, MS does allow an easy way to just delete tracked devices from your account...

Back