Microphone problem, Creative SB0880 X-Fi

Hello

I've got a recording problem in FreeBSD-10.3-RELEASE, with the Creative SB0880 X-Fi soundcard, with the following PCI info:
Code:
hdac2@pci0:2:0:0:       class=0x040300 card=0x00411102 chip=0x000b1102 rev=0x04 hdr=0x00.

The playback is fine.

While recording from the microphone from an application (such as Audacity, but other apps shows similar problem) the recorded sound is almost non-existent, although all mixer controls are at 100/100. I can see a little spike in the waveform (in Audacity) when I plug/unplug the microphone.

The microphone is plugged on a jack on the rear, this jack can function either as Mic, or as Line-in (so-called "flexijack" feature).

I'm guessing that my problem is because the jack is incorrectly set as Line-in, because on Windows, if I manually set the jack mode to Line-in, I observe similar recording problems.

Verbose dmesg(1) extract is available here: http://pastebin.com/raw/U3XdLBUu

The devices before hdaa2/pcm7 are corresponding to sound devices integrated in the motherboard, I believe these are irrelevant as I'm not interested in using them.

Here is the output of cat /dev/sndstat : http://pastebin.com/raw/Y40UXYrs

Here are the mixer settings corresponding to the relevant device(s):
Code:
# mixer -f /dev/mixer7
Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer line     is currently set to 100:100
Mixer rec      is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: line
# mixer -f /dev/mixer8
Mixer vol      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer pcm      is currently set to 100:100
Mixer dig1     is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: dig1
# mixer -f /dev/mixer9
Mixer mic      is currently set to 100:100
Recording source: mic
#

The mic shown in device 9 corresponds to another jack (front mic, nid 20 I guess), unrelated to the current problem.

Here is the output of sysctl dev.hdac.2.pindump=1 : http://pastebin.com/raw/fFXeBpsP

From the pin dump, I see that the jack where I plug my microphone corresponds to nid 19 :
Code:
hdaa2: 19 01813040 4  0  Line-in       Jack  1/8     Rear       Blue    0
hdaa2:     Caps: IN                  Sense: 0xffffffff (connected)

I know this is the correct nid because when I unplug the microphone, the pin dump shows disconnected instead of connected for the nid 19.

From the dmesg and from information found in snd_hda(4), I understand that the nid 19 should be accessible with the pcm7 device, therefore I ran sysctl hw.snd.default_unit=7.

I've tried to put the following device hint:

Code:
hint.hdaa.2.nid19.config="device=Mic"

This hint successfully switches nid19 to device type Mic (instead of Line-in) in the pin dump after a reboot, but has no effect on the recording.

I've searched (google etc) for any way to put this jack in Mic mode, but without success.

To clarify: I don't actually need to switch between Mic mode and Line-in mode at runtime. Any solution to permanently force the jack in Mic mode would be sufficient.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Before putting alot of effort into re-mapping the nids. I would want to verify that the mic you are using has the appropriate contacts. Older mics had two pins and older headphones 3 contacts. The jacks for headphone/mic combinations I believe have 4 pins and the older mics will not work with newer 4-pin jacks.

Hello shepper,

The mic has 2 pins, the connector is for the mic only (no mic/headphone combination on the same connector). However, the mic works fine under Windows (after I use the Creative tool to set the jack to Mic mode), so I don't think this is a hardware problem.

I've tried to put the following device hint:

Code:
hint.hdaa.2.nid19.config="device=Mic"

It is possible to invert jack-sensing logic. From snd_hda(4)
hint.hdaa.%d.config Configures a range of possible audio function
options. Possible values are: ``eapdinv'',
``ivref'', ``ivref50'', ``ivref80'',
``ivref100'', ``fixedrate'', ``forcestereo'',
``ovref'', ``ovref50'', ``ovref80'',
``ovref100'', ``senseinv'', ``softpcmvol'',
and ``vref''. An option prefixed with ``no'',
such as ``nofixedrate'', will do the opposite
and takes precedence. Options can be sepa-
rated by whitespace and commas.

The ``eapdinv'' option inverts External Ampli-
fier Power Down signal. The ``fixedrate''
denies all sampling rates except 48KHz. The
``forcestereo'' denies mono playback/record-
ing. The ``senseinv'' option inverts jack
sensing logic. The ``ivrefX'' and ``ovrefX''
options control the voltage used to power
external microphones.

This would fit the hardware symptoms you describe.

Back