Mic coming through speakers

I'm struggling to prevent the Mic audio coming through the speakers (mic and speakers on same card, ALC1220). As soon as mic is plugged in, feedback is heard through desktop speakers.

Any help appreciated, the goal here is recording with OBS.

Code:
$ cat /dev/sndstat
Installed devices:
pcm0: <NVIDIA (0x0092) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm1: <NVIDIA (0x0092) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm2: <NVIDIA (0x0092) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm3: <NVIDIA (0x0092) (HDMI/DP 8ch)> (play)
pcm4: <Realtek ALC1220 (Analog 5.1+HP/2.0)> (play/rec) default
pcm5: <Realtek ALC1220 (Rear Digital)> (play)
pcm6: <Realtek ALC1220 (Front Analog Mic)> (rec)
pcm7: <USB USB3.0 4K Video> (rec)
No devices installed from userspace.

Code:
$ sysctl -a | grep hda | grep Mic
pcm6: <Realtek ALC1220 (Front Analog Mic)> at nid 25 on hdaa1
pcm6: <Realtek ALC1220 (Front Analog Mic)> at nid 25 on hdaa1
dev.hdaa.1.nid25_original: 0x02a19050 as=5 seq=0 device=Mic conn=Jack ctype=1/8 loc=Front color=Pink misc=0
dev.hdaa.1.nid25_config: 0x02a19050 as=5 seq=0 device=Mic conn=Jack ctype=1/8 loc=Front color=Pink misc=0
dev.hdaa.1.nid25: pin: Mic (Pink Jack)
dev.hdaa.1.nid24_original: 0x01a19040 as=4 seq=0 device=Mic conn=Jack ctype=1/8 loc=Rear color=Pink misc=0
dev.hdaa.1.nid24_config: 0x01a19040 as=4 seq=0 device=Mic conn=Jack ctype=1/8 loc=Rear color=Pink misc=0
dev.hdaa.1.nid24: pin: Mic (Pink Jack)

I couldn't find a solution for that issue and continued with window managers. I think its hard to support big desktop environments like kde and gnome so some issues occur. I hope you can find a solution for that.

there should be a "monitor" channel for that device in your mixer application, mute it to disable monitoring the mic to the main output of that device (usually pcm)

e.g. with dsbmixer:

1720090703092.png

Everyone I know doing OBS is using headphones for exactly the reason you have. You could combat it with some kind of echo cancel software, but that adds delay to the processing and is not 100% accurate. It can't be. And as long as you have speakers which can reach the mic, you will get feedback. That's physics.

BTW, your thread title reads like some kind of accident happened in your studio. I'll go and put my imagination out to the fresh air so it can tune down a bit :D

Some part of your audio stack is routing the mic back to the speakers, maybe you can check which part it is:
  • Feedback occurs without any desktop login or sound server running => probably the hdaa sysctl settings.
  • Feedback on the desktop login => probably a sound server like pulseaudio or the likes.
  • Feedback in OBS only => OBS does software monitoring, find an appropriate setting or turn down speaker volume.

Back