memstick for an SBC Udoo BOLT V8 AMD Ryzen V1605B with AMD RADEON VEGA 8 GRAPHICS

I should prepare a memstick for an SBC Udoo BOLT V8 AMD Ryzen V1605B with AMD RADEON VEGA 8 GRAPHICS.

FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img does not work because the boot is stopped immediately. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance
Stefano Colonna

[italiano]
Dovrei preparare un memstick per un SBC Udoo BOLT V8 AMD Ryzen V1605B con AMD RADEON VEGA 8 GRAPHICS.

FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img non funziona perchè si interrompe subito il boot.
Ogni suggerimento è gradito.
Grazie anticipato
Stefano Colonna

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
Graphics Card [AMD/ATI] Raven Ridge [Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series] (rev c4)
I got secure boot disabled in BIOS and it boots just fine and installs (laptop lenovo 330s - 15ARR) EFI boot

I should prepare a memstick for an SBC Udoo BOLT V8 AMD Ryzen V1605B with AMD RADEON VEGA 8 GRAPHICS.

FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img does not work because the boot is stopped immediately. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance
Stefano Colonna

[italiano]
Dovrei preparare un memstick per un SBC Udoo BOLT V8 AMD Ryzen V1605B con AMD RADEON VEGA 8 GRAPHICS.

FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img non funziona perchè si interrompe subito il boot.
Ogni suggerimento è gradito.
Grazie anticipato
Stefano Colonna
Hi,

i think you have to disable Secure Boot if you're booting from UEFI.

See this thread: Thread 74114
Dear freebsd_noob,
I have used this dd command to prepare usb stick
Code:
dd if=FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/sde1 bs=1M conv=sync
and disabled Secure Boot but the boot is stopped immediately again. Perhaps I have to use this command ?
Code:
 dd if=FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/sde bs=1M conv=sync
(sde indeed of sde1) ?
Thanks for your answer
Stefano Colonna

Hi,

i think you have to disable Secure Boot if you're booting from UEFI.

See this thread: Thread 74114

I redone the dd with the command
Code:
dd if=FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/sdd bs=1M conv=sync
(sdd indeed of sdd1) (sdd indeed of sde because I had only 1 Usb external disk on this time indeed than 2 USB external disks on)

This time the Freebsd boot menu has started but stopped here
Code:
acpi_syscontainer0: <System Container> port 0x2bc-0x2bf on acpi0
and no access from TTY3 or other TTY port was possible.
Thanks for your answer again.
Stefano Colonna

Hi Stefano,

(sdd indeed of sdd1)
Yes, that's correct. See https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html#bsdinstall-usb

Maybe try to disable ACPI in the Boot Menu? It's enabled per default:
bsdinstall-boot-options-menu.png

If this works, you can disable it in BIOS/EFI.

Hi Stefano,

[...]

View attachment 7564

Dear freebsd_noob,
I have disabled ACPI in the BIOS but I don't have the option 3. ACPI support in my FreeBSD boot
After disabling ACPI the hardware boot options the software FreeBSD boot always stops at the same point
Code:
Now I try to enable ACPI in hardware BIOS.

Hi Stefano,

Yes, that's correct. See https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/bsdinstall-pre.html#bsdinstall-usb

View attachment 7564

Dear freebsd_noob,
I would like to show you my FreeBSD boot options screen where there is no option 3. on ACPI. Why is there this difference between my screen and yours?
[italiano]
vorrei farti vedere la mia schermata di opzioni di boot di FreeBSD dove non c'è l'opzione 3. su ACPI. Come mai c'è questa differenza tra la mia schermata e la tua ?

IMG_20200301_141657_ritagliata_X1035.jpg

Hi Stefano,

Why is there this difference between my screen and yours?
It's because you've disabled ACPI in the BIOS. So the boot menu doesn't need this entry anymore.

After disabling ACPI the hardware boot options the software FreeBSD boot always stops at the same point
May i suggest you enable number 5 (Verbose) in the boot menu so mabe we get more information what's going on?

You can even try 3 (Safe Mode) for booting, maybe this helps.

Hi Stefano,

It's because you've disabled ACPI in the BIOS. So the boot menu doesn't need this entry anymore.

May i suggest you enable number 5 (Verbose) in the boot menu so mabe we get more information what's going on?
Dear freebsd_noob,
I had rehabilitated ACPI in hardware BIOS but the FreeBSD boot menu had remained the same.
I had enabled the verbose modality but the menu always stop in the same point with the same message.
Thanks for your answers.

I meant Safe Mode (no. 3 in your boot menu).
Dear freebsd_noob,
now I understand. No, unfortunately it does not work even with option 3. Safe mode both with ACPI enabled and with ACPI disabled.

I don't know if it matters but Southbridge is enabled in the hardware BIOS

Hi Stefano,

sorry, then i don't know what to do. :(

Last idea i have is to try another image, for example https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/re...GES/12.1/FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso
Dear freebsd_noob,
Unfortunately, the situation is the same as before, even with this FreeBSD ISO with and without ACPI with and without safe mode, the boot always stops at ACPI.

I add that I tried this new ISO with the SBC UdooX86 (older than the Udoo BOLT) and freeBSD starts correctly arriving at the command line
Thanks for your pacience

Hello!

I have been researching the Udoo BOLT and am considering it as an option. Has there been any development on the issue regarding the installation of FreeBSD 12.1 on this system?

Thanks.

Back