memstick boot on new Asus Z690-P

Good morning,

I upgraded my 12 year old PC with an Asus Z690-P / i5-12600K excited about finally being able to get a proper root-on-ZFS installation, but the kernel from the latest memstick hangs when trying to boot.

I've tried a few loader variable settings from a few Google hits, but none helped. Also found the thread on this forum about this MB, but didn't seem related. One mailing list thread from August suggests Alderlake MBs should now be ok.

Any suggestions based on above video?

Regards,
Henrik Morsing

It's not the kernel, that is still loader in your video. Also notice that item 5 in the menu says "Serial", so it's likely the output is just redirected to whatever serial port you have. Try changing that option.

Good morning,

Downloaded 13.1 as I couldn't actually remember which version was on my memory stick. That seemed to help.

Managed to install, changed some BIOS setting, this time hanging on UART probing, setting
hint.uart.0.disabled="1" fixed that.

So, installed, kinda boots up, but can't access/mount the ZFS filesystems. Very odd. Get a time-out error 6.

If I try it from the mountroot prompt, I get error 5 instead and Cannot find the pool label for 'zfs'.

Regards,
Henrik Morsing

I can't believe how awful this is. If I enter "Live CD" at the end of the install, the ZFS filesystems are all there. Even though zfs.ko is clearly loaded at boot however, it cannot access ZFS and I just end up at a mountroot> prompt that can't see any ZFS partitions.

Un-plugged the other disks in the system and it booted straight up. So FreeBSD doesn't work with any other disks in the ssytem. Spiffing.

And I'm still stuck as I need to install a network driver but the system doesn't have pkg nor pkg-static installed. I've put pkg on a USB stick, can't find pkg-static anywhere, but no-way to install pkg.

Don't think I've seen such a shit-show since Linux back in the '90s.

Ok, extremely confusingly, .xz files are just un-packed by 'tar xf'. This despite the fact I could actually un-pack it using xz as well.

Hej Og velkommen. Rart med endnu en dansker
(Hello and welcome. Nice with another dane)

What version is you installing ??.Is your bios configured correctly. And very important for 13.1 and below, p-cores must be disabled. They are making memory errors on anything but current.

Try all over with the install. Important to set the bootloader from serial to video. and afterwards ensure you have

console="efi"
boot_serial="NO"

set in /boot/loader.conf

Then it should boot correctly.

Hav en god aften

Back