Memory Disk In A Jail

Hello,
I've got an older 32 core AMD supermicro server I picked up from a local computer store for 600 bucks. They had Windows Home Edition installed on it! Tee hee. Anyway, I'm configuring for mutlipurpose use with jails and I've given a friend a jail to build for arm. He likes to use memdisk to create the package - his blog is here: http://blog.uditagarwal.in. When trying to create a memdisk we get the following error:

root@rtemsbuild:/home/russellh # uname -a
FreeBSD rtemsbuild 11.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE #0: Sat Jun 2 22:49:42 PDT 2018 russellh@sylvester:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
root@rtemsbuild:/home/russellh # mdconfig -f bbb.img -u md0
mdconfig: open(/dev/mdctl): No such file or directory

Which makes sense because there is nothing in /dev:
root@rtemsbuild:/home/russellh # ls /dev
fd null random stdin urandom zfs
log pts stderr stdout zero

So I drilled in on jail(8)() and devfs(5) (). I *think* I've put together the following:

iocell
iocell set enforce_statfs=1 rtemsbuild
iocell set allow_mount=1 rtemsbuild
iocell set allow_mount_devfs=1 rtemsbuild

Oh, ya: I'm using iocell because I liked the old iocage just fine. Anyway, once that's configured I add a rule for devfs:

devfs -m /iocell/jails/15bba306-7383-11e8-b92c-00259070d370/root/dev rule add path mdctl mode 666

I've restarted the jail as well but I'm still not seeing mdctl. Can anyone point out what I've missed? Do I need to mount mdctl into my jail?

Update: "Computer says no" (to mkdir for mount):
root@sylvester:/home/russellh # mkdir /iocell/jails/15bba306-7383-11e8-b92c-00259070d370/root/dev/mdctl
mkdir: /iocell/jails/15bba306-7383-11e8-b92c-00259070d370/root/dev/mdctl: Operation not supported

Any advice would be grand. I'm aware that it's a "security risk" but I'm not concerned about that. If an alternative can be suggested that would be as practical and fast as a memdisk I'd be willing to entertain an alternative.
Cheers,
dinsdale

Hi,
From what I know you can "unhide" the device so that it is visible inside the jail. But you need to create the character device outside the jail I think, else you need to unhide /dev/mdctl aswell.
/etc/devfs.rules
Code:
[devfsrules_jail=5]
add path 'md*' unhide
add path 'md*' mode 0777

And then you need to restart devd and add something in /etc/rc.conf to activate those rules I guess. See /etc/defaults/rc.conf .

--HPS

Hello,
I've got an older 32 core AMD supermicro server I picked up from a local computer store for 600 bucks. They had Windows Home Edition installed on it! Tee hee. Anyway, I'm configuring for mutlipurpose use with jails and I've given a friend a jail to build for arm. He likes to use memdisk to create the package - his blog is here: http://blog.uditagarwal.in. When trying to create a memdisk we get the following error:

root@rtemsbuild:/home/russellh # uname -a
FreeBSD rtemsbuild 11.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE #0: Sat Jun 2 22:49:42 PDT 2018 russellh@sylvester:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
root@rtemsbuild:/home/russellh # mdconfig -f bbb.img -u md0
mdconfig: open(/dev/mdctl): No such file or directory

Cheers,
dinsdale
Aside from needing to setup specific policies for your jail(8)'s to permit creating memory disks (md(4)). You've used the md(4) command incorrectly; You actually wanted to use:
Code:
mdconfig -f bbb.img -u 0
note that I didn't preface the (md)disk number with md, as you did. :)

HTH

--Chris

Back