media ethernet autoselect (none), status: no carrier

ifconfig and /etc/rc.d/netif shows the same results for the network interface:

media ethernet autoselect (none)

Netwok adapter is Realtek 8201CL.

I reinstalled it but no luck.

How can I fix this problem?

Are you sure the network cable is properly attached (with a 'click')?

show /etc/rc.conf, /etc/resolv.conf

and plug out router for 20s if you have it, and try again.

P.S.
ah, time to sleep

DutchDaemon said:
Are you sure the network cable is properly attached (with a 'click')?
yes I checked network cable several times, it is attached as it should be.

Can it be a hardware failure (caused by power outage, static, surge, something like that)? Are there any signs of life on the outside?

killasmurf86 said:
show /etc/rc.conf, /etc/resolv.conf

and plug out router for 20s if you have it, and try again.

P.S.
ah, time to sleep
I am logged in as root, but when trying /etc/rc.conf, /etc/resolv.conf i get: permission denied.

DutchDaemon said:
Can it be a hardware failure (caused by power outage, static, surge, something like that)? Are there any signs of life on the outside?
ethernet port light blinks

X-313 said:
I am logged in as root, but when trying /etc/rc.conf, /etc/resolv.conf i get: permission denied.

Don't execute them ... 'cat' them ;)

Also see [cmd=]dmesg -a[/cmd] (yes, execute that one).

By the way: what's at the other end of this connection? Is it a managed switch, and if so, can you check e.g. whether the switch port has been shut down due to errors. Can you plug the cable into a different switch port, etc?

DutchDaemon said:
By the way: what's at the other end of this connection? Is it a managed switch, and if so, can you check e.g. whether the switch port has been shut down due to errors. Can you plug the cable into a different switch port, etc?
the other side is a managed switch. but i also plugged out the switch several times.

Have you tried swapping network cables?

This error is happening at the physical layer. There's something not working with the switch port, the network cable, the NIC port, or the switch or NIC hardware.

Standard trouble-shooting is:
  • swap switch ports
  • swap network cable
  • swap switch
  • swap NIC

thank you for all your comments guys,
a friend of mine came in, just installed additional network card (INTEL) configured it, and now media and status is ok. He said that something wrong with Realtek drivers. I can now browse into it from Win machines.

This was my first experience in FreeBSD. Now I will start learning FreeBSD, as I don't want this happen to me next time. And amazing thing is that, that FreeBSD machine was working almost 2 years without any problem and like server (up all the time), so I haven't felt any need to to deal with it. FreeBSD seems to me pretty difficult compared to Windows to which I am used to, but i think it should be fun.

Back