UFS MBR and GPT

I have an issue and hope someone can help. I installed pfsense 2.3 x64 and all is working fine. I am adding a spare SATA 160GB drive I had around the house for squid. Being a native windows user, I thought this is a simple matter but still no joy after spending the weekend trying to learn how to do it. I am running pfsense on an old DELL GX620 Dual Core. Basically:

1. Disk 0 (240GB SSD) where pfsense lives is ada0. I see it has MBR. No problem with ada0.
2. Disk 1 (160GB SATA) is installed but I do not see it using #gpart show. I can see it using SMART in pfsense.

Questions are:

- How do I activate it so that gpart can see it?
- Once activated can I set it as MBR instead of GPT? Reason I want MBR is so that it is consistent with ada0 unless GPT can work alongside MBR?

Drives appear in gpart show after they have been partitioned and show up to the GEOM system.

To see the hardware, look at ls /dev/ada*.

Now the question is what was on the 160G drive that is not a normal MBR or GPT. As root, file -s /dev/ada1 might tell. It might have mixed MBR and GPT partitioning on it, and is not showing up as a GEOM because of the conflict. It might have RAID metadata from use with motherboard RAID or a dedicated RAID controller.

Finally, GPT coexists with MBR. Most computers work fine with it. It works like MBR except there is no annoying four-partition limit.

wblock@ Thanks. The 160GB drive is just a blank drive I ripped from a deceased machine. Will read some more on how to deal with my issue. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back