Solved Maybe I failed in the installation of FreeBSD 11.1.

• Thread starter Deleted member 53988
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 53988

Hi,

Maybe I failed in the installation of FreeBSD 11.1.

I tried to install FreeBSD using the tutorial "Building A FreeBSD Desktop From Scratch" of Trihexagonal: http://trihexagonal.org/tutorial.html

It is written in tutorial of Trihexagonal:

"At the Partitioning menu choose Auto (UFS) Guided Disk Setup, for simplicity, and GPT for the Partition Scheme. It will give you a choice of where to install, choose your HDD which will be designated as ada0".

I selected Auto (UFS) Guided Disk Setup.

Part of tutorial of Trihexagonal is disorganized.

The screen of option Entire Disk is not after of screen of option ada0.

"Choose Entire Disk at the next screen, as we won't be dual-booting with this tutorial".

I selected Entire Disk.

In next screen I selected GPT.

"At the Partitioning menu choose Auto (UFS) Guided Disk Setup, for simplicity, and GPT for the Partition Scheme. It will give you a choice of where to install, choose your HDD which will be designated as ada0".

But the following video select ZFS:

I am confused.

Why the video that I cited above select ZFS?

The reference of the video that I cited above is this: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/how-to-install-freebsd-11-amd64.59397/#post-340690

"When presented with the Set Hostname screen enter your machine name".

I digited FreeBSD because can to be any name.

Also it is written in your tutorial:

"At the Distribution Select screen choose:

doc
lib32
ports
src

You do this with the arrow keys and the spacebar. If you are not on a 64 bit machine the lib32 option will not be available".

I selected doc, lib32, ports and src.

"At the Partitioning menu choose Guided, for simplicity, and GPT for the Partition Scheme. It will give you a choice of where to install, choose your HDD which will be designated as ada0.

Choose Entire Disk at the next screen, as we won't be dual-booting with this tutorial.

At the next screen it will present you with the disk layout, choose Finish".

I selected the options ada0 and Finish.

"Now confirm this is what you really want to do, and Commit to the partitioning and installation of your new OS".

I selected the option Commit.

"Now you'll configure your network interface. Choose your ethernet card for starters. FreeBSD is not Linux, so it will have a different designation but you should be able to pick it out from a wireless card".

The screen of Network Configuration of my installation of FreeBSD 11.1 show only em0.

"Now choose Yes when asked if you'd like to configure IPv4".

I selected the option Yes.

"Choose Yes to configure DHCP. It will scan and pick up your router interface, go with it".

I selected the option Yes.

"If you want to configure IPv6 at the next screen or not it's up to you".

I selected the option No.

It is not wrote in tutorial of Trihexagonal about the following screen:

Sem título(2).png

The following paragraph of tutorial of Trihexagonal is wrong:

"Now set your timezone, choose No when it asks you if you use UTC, and proceed to the next screen to choose the proper time zone for you".

Do not exist screen that asks you if you use UTC.

"At the system Configuration screen choose to enable moused, ntpd, and powerd. If you want to enable SSH choose SSHD too".

I selected the options moused, ntpd, and powerd.

I want to enable SSH, I selected SSHD too.

"Choose No to enabling Crash Dump. It's not necessary".

Do not exist screen Crash Dump and do not exist option No to enabling Crash Dump.

"In FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE there is a System Hardening screen not included in earlier versions. Check the following boxes to enable the options":

Disable reading kernel message buffer for unprivledged users
Disable process dubugging facilities for unprivledged users
Ramndomize the PID for newly created processes
Insert stack guard page ahead of the growable segments

I selected the following options:

Disable reading kernel message buffer for unprivledged users
Disable process dubugging facilities for unprivledged users
Ramndomize the PID for newly created processes
Insert stack guard page ahead of the growable segments

"When asked if you want to invite the user to other groups make them members of:

wheel operator

Typed just like that".

Sem título(3).png

I typed wheel operator when asked if I want to invite the user to other groups.

"Enter a password for that account, for the rest of the options choose the default option it recommends and just hit Enter to proceed from one to the next.
One account should be enough. When asked if you want to make another user account type no and hit Enter".

I have opted a password for that account, for the rest of the options, I have opted the default option it recommends and I clicked just hit Enter to proceed from one to the next.

I typed no and I clicked Enter when asked if I want to make another user account.

"Now you're at the last screen of the build process. Exit and remove the installation media you used (CD, DVD, Flash drive) while it's restarting or it will loop back".

Sem título(4).png

I selected Exit.

In other screen I selected Reboot.

I installed FreeBSD 11.1:

Sem título(5).png

The my installation of FreeBSD 11.1 is wrong?

Attachments

• Sem título(2).png
    Sem título(2).png
    61.4 KB · Views: 168
I didn't read through the whole post because I really don't need to know every step you selected.

But why would you think that the installation failed? Is there any problem, doesn't the system boot or... Because from what you showed us the system normally fires up the boot menu, so... why would you think it went wrong?

And to answer your question regarding UFS and ZFS... That's simple a matter of preference and choice. FreeBSD provides 2 file systems which you can use, ZFS and UFS. Both have their specific features, their advantages and disadvantages where UFS is the standard. It's behavior is comparable to other similar filesystems (such as ext4) so it's not that strange that this tutorial would favor it.

ZFS is a "next generation" filesystem, it completely changes the way you'd work. If you want to learn more then chapter 19 of the FreeBSD handbook will explain the details.

You are still ďoing it...
Things change, tutorials might be dated and may reflect setups which are based on personal preferrnces. If you don't experience any problems running FreeBSD than your installtion was successful.
After you contacted me yesterday I will give you this advise for the very last time: Read the Handbook or you will for sure be added to many members ignore list, mine too.

I didn't read through the whole post because I really don't need to know every step you selected.

But why would you think that the installation failed? Is there any problem, doesn't the system boot or... Because from what you showed us the system normally fires up the boot menu, so... why would you think it went wrong?

ShelLuser,

I think it went wrong because it is written in tutorial of Trihexagonal:

Part of tutorial of Trihexagonal is disorganized.

The screen of option Entire Disk is not after of screen of option ada0.

It is not wrote in tutorial of Trihexagonal about the following screen:

Sem título(2).png

"Now set your timezone, choose No when it asks you if you use UTC, and proceed to the next screen to choose the proper time zone for you".

Do not exist screen that asks you if you use UTC.

Or exist screen that asks you if you use UTC?

"Choose No to enabling Crash Dump. It's not necessary".

Do not exist screen Crash Dump and do not exist option No to enabling Crash Dump.

Or exist screen Crash Dump?

Well, if one tutorial doesn't work for you, try another.

But I fully agree with k.jacker above; when in doubt then the FreeBSD handbook is the de-facto place to turn to for information, for the simple reason that they'll make very sure that it stays up to date with the current standards. Maybe use both? Follow the tutorial and find the missing parts in the handbook.

But I I fully agree with k.jacker above; when in doubt then the FreeBSD handbook is the de-facto place to turn to for information, for the simple reason that they'll make very sure that it stays up to date with the current standards. Maybe use both? Follow the tutorial and find the missing parts in the handbook.

ShelLuser,

I will not to try another tutorial.

According k.jacker, the tutorials that I linked to in other topic that I posted, they are completely useless, most of it is either not needed or horribly wrong: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...na-desktop-on-freebsd-11-1.66518/#post-393433

The tutorial of Trihexagonal maybe is dated.

Maybe the tutorial of Cooltrainer is dated or completely useless, most of it is either not needed or horribly wrong: https://cooltrainer.org/a-freebsd-desktop-howto/

I will to use only the FreeBSD Handbook.

Hi,

Maybe I failed in the installation of FreeBSD 11.1.

The my installation of FreeBSD 11.1 is wrong?

If you have never installed FreeBSD previously you should not attempt something so complicated as you have done.

Remember FreeBSD is simply a host operating system which runs various programs including GUIs. For a first timer your goal should be booting up to a login prompt. Once you have done that, you have FreeBSD installed. The rest is window dressing.

Well, that's nice to hear ;)

You can, of course, as ShelLuser said, use tutorials, too.
But yeah, the FreeBSD Handbook should be where you start searching for information.
It sticks to the relevant tasks to get something done, without any personal preferences or unnecessary parts.
...and if you go looking for additional information, check at least that a tutorial is for a supported release.

But remember to NEVER blindly follow advises. Think about your tutorial and how you kept spreading wrong information you got
from that tutorial on the internet, where they were running Xorg as root and said you had to reboot your machine by a fancy init 6.

Well, that's nice to hear ;)

You can, of course, as ShelLuser said, use tutorials, too.

k.jacker,

I don't want to waste my time with tutorials that might be completely useless, most of it is either not needed, horribly wrong, dated and that reflect setups which are based on personal preferences.

Hold with me, folks. This is the second time in recent months where my efforts to help someone have turned around to bite me and into some circus performance. I am going to make things perfectly clear this time.

Ninja_Root, we discussed this matter extensively in PM. Most of your problems stemmed from not fully understanding what was stated due to your limitations in English language skills and I explained them to you as plainly as possible.

In fact, after a point I began to question how much of you past trolling of 15-16 forums was actually trolling, or due to a Learning Disability and actually valid questions about matters that were perfectly clear to others. I worked in the Mental Health field for 9 years with Developmentally Disabled individuals and a qualified observation on my part, and went to even further lengths to accommodate you.

It's bad form to disclose the contents of PM and in forum rules states could be grounds for banning, but we also discussed this in PM when you challenged me privately. I discussed my employment history with SirDice, I'm sure he can make the association between it and my interest in you so I will leave it in his hands. It's not uncommon to be challenged in those dynamics and to be expected to an extent. Those cannot go left unchecked or the behavior will worsen, and utilizing my unique Programming Language Techniques would normally be my response, but not today.

I stood up for you when everyone in the Linux community hated you like a festering boil on their behind, and did so publicly at linuxquestions.org to my own detriment. I saw some of my past in you and could relate to you, only I was much worse and regarded as bête noire. Not some lowly troll.

We also discussed this matter fully in PM. Of how I had turned myself around, that it was better to be liked than hated, and how being feared and respected were two different things and not of equal. I saw potential in you and wanted people to respect you. I provided advise in an attempt to make it so, but let you know then what people thought of you was decided by your own actions.

Then you challenged my privately to see if in reality you were my superior. I informed you then:

"This violates the only restriction I put on our relationship. That you treat me with the same respect I have shown you. It is in my post at LQ. I will not tolerate being disrespected by you or anyone else."

And referred you my LQ posts where I state as much. I made it clear if you challenged I would respond in kind. Even then, I forgave you when you apologized:

"Yes, Ninja_Root, I will still help you. I'm not going to abandon you."

And that is what this thread really boils down to. Now you are challenging me publicly. I promised you then I would respond to any accusation you made with a statement of my own to counter it.

You didn't even follow my tutorial, and this is your PM to me:

I have found very easy tutorials that teach installing MATE and XFCE desktops in FreeBSD.

I am talking about Linux Help tutorials.

I think that I found the answer to install MATE and XFCE in FreeBSD.

Reference:

How To Install MATE Desktop In FreeBSD: Https://Www.Linuxhelp.Com/How-To-Install-Mate-Desktop-In-Freebsd/

How To Install XFCE Desktop In FreeBSD: Https://Www.Linuxhelp.Com/How-To-Install-Xfce-Desktop-In-Freebsd/

My response was "Then use them". That was my last response to you, though you continue to message me recently as today asking why I had disappeared from the forums.

I did make a change to my tutorial about the stating to use "Guided" and told you then:

"I changed it so it would be easier to understand. If you look at the FreeBSD Handbook section on installing FreeBSD it did originally just say "Guided". I wrote it before the release of 11.0 and didn't notice the wording had changed:

bsdinstall-part-guided-manual.png

I didn't even read most of his post and am not going to respond to it further. As for my tutorial, the only thing that is not up to date to the best of my knowledge is that it still reflects the FreeBSD 11.1 RELEASE installation process as I have not personally installed 11.2 myself, or even know if the process changed.

It has been featured in FreeBSD News as my post here and previously featured there as my post in another forum. Do a google search for "FreeBSD desktop tutorial" and see what comes up first.

I don't know how many people have read and scrutinized it but am dead certain if there was a pinpoint that could be made there would be many people more than ready to make it.

I don't know how many people have actually used it, but of those I've had contact with he is the only person to have had this amount of trouble with it. I attributed that to a possible learning disorder.

I attribute challenging me to hostile public debate, insulting me publicly or underestimating me to the point of stupidity to incredible ignorance on their part, and more than willing to turn into a learning experience to their benefit.

But I weary of it greatly... The opening clown performance was never my favorite part of the Circus anyway.

Do not PM me again Ninja_Poot and consider yourself on ignore.

Then you challenged my privately to see if in reality you were my superior. I informed you then:

"This violates the only restriction I put on our relationship. That you treat me with the same respect I have shown you. It is in my post at LQ. I will not tolerate being disrespected by you or anyone else."
I never challenged the Trihexagonal.

I talked to Trihexagonal using PM:
Hi, Trihexagonal,

I want to install FreeBSD using your tutorial "Building A FreeBSD Desktop From Scratch".

It is written in your tutorial:

"At the Partitioning menu choose Guided, for simplicity, and GPT for the Partition Scheme. It will give you a choice of where to install, choose your HDD which will be designated as ada0".

The screen Partitioning has two options Guided:

Auto (UFS) and Auto (ZFS).

The correct option is Auto (UFS) or Auto (ZFS)?

I changed the part about Partitioning you had a problem with to make it more clear:
"At the Partitioning menu choose Auto (UFS) Guided Disk Setup, for simplicity, and GPT for the Partition Scheme."
I had to delete text to make the change due to the 20000 character limit on a post.
Trihexagonal,
You said about me the following in FreeBSD Forums:
Trihexagonal said:
For those of you who don't know, Ninja_Root is best known for running a troll campaign at approximately 15-16 Linux forums last year. I shudder to think the chaos his questions and games must have created among those poor flightless birds and the loss of bowel control they must have endured over his words...
Everybody hated him, most thought it was several people or that he was a bot. Having bots myself, I knew from his responses he was human and the same person. I saw good qualities in him others apparently could not, perhaps because I can relate to him where they can't. What he really needed was a kind word and a little friendly guidance, so I provided it. I only participated in one thread, but he soon stopped trolling.

He did have a little setback here, but even I have my bad days. This is a game called Bait the Trap, though his technique needs polish. You ask a loaded question you already know the answer to and when the time/response is right you snap the trap and trip them up. I don't know what he had in store for @Oko, but I know the game well and the only way you can win is not to play. I knew it the moment I saw it last year and what initially caught my interest.

Trihexagonal said:
Now we need to get him to run a FreeBSD box and make a real Daemon out of him.
Reference: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...versity-teachers-about-bsd.66105/#post-390112
Do you think that is a good idea to tell for FreeBSD Members that you helped me to install FreeBSD 11.1?
Do you think that is a good idea to tell for FreeBSD Members that you modified the part of your tutorial that I had trouble understanding for your to explain better?
I am talking about the following part of your tutorial:
Do you think that will cause them to be impressed by you? Or that I take enough pride in my work to keep it updated?
Ninja_Root, the other day you wrote:
Ninja_Root said:
"Hi,
Trihexagonal,
How much worse you was that I ever were?"
Now you are trying to challenge me to see if you are my superior. This violates the only restriction I put on our relationship. That you treat me with the same respect I have shown you. It is in my post at LQ. I will not tolerate being disrespected by you or anyone else.

Think carefully what you do next before acting.

If you think you have the upper hand on me, you are sadly mistaken. If you start, expect a full force response in retaliation. You will not like it and I can make my own statements to counter anything you write.

You are in peril of losing the only person who stood up for you as a friend, and that's the least of it.

Do what you will, but be ready for the consequences.
:'‑(
Trihexagonal,
I did not want to offend you.

Sorry me.

I asked for you the questions that I quoted above because you said that has very proud of me: https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...versity-teachers-about-bsd.66105/#post-390112
I thought that you has more proud of me because I instaled FreeBSD and because you said:
Trihexagonal said:
"Ninja_Root, I just now changed it in the tutorial post here. I haven't even logged off to make the change on my website yet. I will be doing so as soon as possible.
If you had a problem making out what I meant maybe other people do, too. So I do appreciate it".
You forgive me?
Trihexagonal,
I do not understand you.
You said me before:
Trihexagonal said:
"Ninja_Root, I just now changed it in the tutorial post here. I haven't even logged off to make the change on my website yet. I will be doing so as soon as possible.

If you had a problem making out what I meant maybe other people do, too. So I do appreciate it".
After you said me:
Trihexagonal said:
Do you think that will cause them to be impressed by you? Or that I take enough pride in my work to keep it updated?
Ninja_Root, the other day you wrote:
"Hi,
Trihexagonal,
How much worse you was that I ever were?"
Now you are trying to challenge me to see if you are my superior. This violates the only restriction I put on our relationship. That you treat me with the same respect I have shown you. It is in my post at LQ. I will not tolerate being disrespected by you or anyone else.

Think carefully what you do next before acting.

If you think you have the upper hand on me, you are sadly mistaken. If you start, expect a full force response in retaliation. You will not like it and I can make my own statements to counter anything you write.

You are in peril of losing the only person who stood up for you as a friend, and that's the least of it.

Do what you will, but be ready for the consequences".
I am with afraid of you because you said this contradiction.

Why you said this contradiction?
It's 2 different things, Ninja_Root.

I changed it so it would be easier to understand. If you look at the FreeBSD Handbook section on installing FreeBSD it did originally just say "Guided". I wrote it before the release of 11.0 and didn't notice the wording had changed:
View attachment 5012
View attachment 5013
"Do you think that is a good idea to tell for FreeBSD Members that you modified the part of your tutorial that I had trouble understanding for your to explain better?"
I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you meant, and that does seem to be what happened. It is my fault not yours now that I read it again.
I'm sorry. There is no need to be afraid of me, Ninja_Root. If I didn't like you as a person and want to help you I never would have taken up for you in the first place. There area lot of people who are not happy with me for taking up for you like I did, but I don't care. I consider you my friend and don't care what they think about it in Linux forums.

The people here are the only ones that matter to me, since I am a FreeBSD user. They already know I'm helping you. That's enough, you don't need to say good things about me. I'm already well known here. If you just behave yourself and post responsibly, that will be all they need to see to know you are making progress. There is no need for you to post this:
"Do you think that is a good idea to tell for FreeBSD Members that you modified the part of your tutorial that I had trouble understanding for your to explain better?"
If you learn from the things I'm trying to teach you, it helps you to gain new skills and you are improved as a person, I will have accomplished what I set out to do.

If you learn how to better express yourself with other people, change your ways and don't troll forums like you promised, and they respect you for the changes you made, then I will even more proud of you. I told you I feel a kinship with you. I want you to succeed.

It will be how you act that determines what people think of you. I'm just trying to provide advise and guidance as a friend to help you.

The spotlight isn't on me, Ninja_Root, it's on you. You are the potential Star here.

SirDice,

I do not want to challenge anyone.

I simply asked to Trihexagonal:

"Do you think that is a good idea to tell for FreeBSD Members that you helped me to install FreeBSD 11.1?

Do you think that is a good idea to tell for FreeBSD Members that you modified the part of your tutorial that I had trouble understanding for your to explain better?

I am talking about the following part of your tutorial:

Also I simply tried to install FreeBSD 11.1.

SirDice,

I don't want to waste my time with tutorials that might be completely useless, most of it is either not needed, horribly wrong, dated and that reflect setups which are based on personal preferences.

But I fully agree with k.jacker above; when in doubt then the FreeBSD handbook is the de-facto place to turn to for information, for the simple reason that they'll make very sure that it stays up to date with the current standards. Maybe use both? Follow the tutorial and find the missing parts in the handbook.

ShelLuser,

You solved my topic.

Thank you very much.

When the "Network Configuration" field of "Search" is empty then you have an network setting wrong somewhere.
For this field "Search=localdomain" is what appears on a properly configured network during FreeBSD install..
If it is blank your networks DNS server is not configured correctly or your double NAT 'ed. Something is not set right.

View attachment 5086

If you can't understand someone's tutorial or if it doesn't work for you,
Ninja_Root , then learn subject completely and create a "better" one.
If you'll create it, then people like you will be able to install FreeBSD easily.
But something tells me you won't do it. It is very easy to criticize,
but it is hard to make something, especially to make something good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back