Other MAXIMIZE broke recently, here's a workaround (QVWM)

I googled this issue I'm just having with the MAXIMIZE window button, but since the search didn't provide anything useful this time, I figured that this is an isolated problem. But if you do encounter the same problem, here's a workaround while compatibility issues are being worked out (hopefully).

FreeBSD: FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE #0 r274401
Graphic driver: nvidia-driver-346.47
Window manager: QVWM (based on the April 30th, 2007 tar file)
Screen size on X startup: 1024x768

The problem:
When I was using vlc 2.1.5, I would double-click the window client area, and it would go full screen as expected. After some time, I upgraded to vlc 2.2.1 to fix an issue with network media playback, the window client area double-click feature stopped going full screen. Instead, it looks like it's now only a vlc Minimal Mode toggle switch.

Now, when I double-click the window title bar, of any X application, the window is always resized to 1024x768, no mater if the screen is actually 1024x768 or 1920x1080. It's a little annoying! I only noticed this behavior change after I upgraded to vlc 2.2.1. Perhaps one of it's upgraded dependencies broke my MAXIMIZE window button? I don't know these systems well enough to dig more into it at this time.

But here's a work around:
I added a new window decoration command called FULLSCREEN which calls this:
xdotool getwindowfocus windowmove --sync 0 -24 windowsize 100% 100%

So, I'm good for the time being! But if you want more details on my installation, feel free to ask.

Dominique.

Back