MATE MATE terminal, can't copy more than one screen full

In FreeBSD 12.2 I run mate and very happy with it. the mate terminal if you configure it for infinite scrolling, then when you use Edit | Select All you get the entire terminal output, you can paste it into a text document. But today in FreeBSD 13.0 when I try the same thing, in mate terminal with many pages of output, if you Edit | Select All you only get a screen full of text on the clip board. Any comments appreciated, thanks
Space

You can directly redirect output from commands to text files, i.e.
ls > data.txt

Don't know what's wrong with Mate terminal, though.

Yes, and I do redirect as you suggest. It doesn't scale. It is very valuable to be able to capture an entire session and paste it into a text file, AND you can do it in FreeBSD 12.2 with mate-terminal. What happened? I may have to build mate-terminal and look at the source.

The mate terminal only seems to select everything what you can currently see, i see thats in XFCE terminal aswell.
This was not the case in FreeBSD 12.2. You could select the entire output of the mate-terminal in one stroke and paste it all into a file. I wonder what happened.

OT, I don't get a visible command prompt:

1645986969262.png

It does respond to e.g. Control-D.

Code:
% pkg info -x mate-terminal ; uname -aKU
mate-terminal-1.26.0
FreeBSD mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #4 main-n253343-9835900cb95-dirty: Wed Feb 23 00:14:15 GMT 2022     root@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC-NODEBUG amd64 1400053 1400053
% pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled
    url             : "http://pkg0.bme.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:14:amd64/latest",
    enabled         : yes,
    url             : "https://alpha.pkgbase.live/current/FreeBSD:14:amd64/latest",
    enabled         : no,
    url             : "file:///usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/main-default",
    enabled         : yes,
%

To select all text in the Mate terminal window, first left click with the mouse at the lower right corner of the text you want to select. Then keep the left mouse button held down while you drag the mouse upwards and to the left. The selected text will be highlighted and the terminal screen window will scroll all the way to the top of the scroll buffer.

Release the left mouse button, and the text will remain highlighted. Move the mouse pointer anywhere over the highlighted text, and right click to pop up a context menu.

Finally, click on the "Select all" "Copy" entry of the context menu, and the selected text will be copied into the clipboard.

But as mentioned by Space_Cadet, you could achieve the above with just SelectAll and without manually scrolling back before. Scrolling is very inconvenient when the terminal buffer to select is large. Has anybody figure out a way to restore the old SelectAll behavior yet?

Back