MATE is solid!

MATE is solid and very clean!

Big thanks to the developers, and whoever ported everything into FreeBSD ports. Its very well done. I'm liking the default MATE install better than any GNOME install ive I've ever installed. Everything feels very stable, solid, and the initial organization, what's included, etc. etc., feels very clean.

I noticed in the window configuration panel, there's an option to turn on compositing, does MATE have compositing by default, or is that an option to make MATE work better with a compositing manager if I install one? I don't see any options anywhere to manipulate compositing type effects?

I have no answer to your question, I am not that experienced with mate; I just wanted to stop by to say that mate is a brilliant piece of software, I love it. If you love something you want to tell the world :).

rhish said:
MATE is solid and very clean!

Big thanks to the developers, and whoever ported everything into FreeBSD ports. Its very well done. I'm liking the default MATE install better than any GNOME install ive I've ever installed. Everything feels very stable, solid, and the initial organization, what's included, etc. etc., feels very clean.

I noticed in the window configuration panel, there's an option to turn on compositing, does MATE have compositing by default, or is that an option to make MATE work better with a compositing manager if I install one? I don't see any options anywhere to manipulate compositing type effects?

Hello,

I have been trying to install Mate the MATE desktop, but I'm not able to achieve it. Could you tell me how you did it?

Thanks a lot!

tankist02 said:
From http://www.freshports.org/x11/mate/: cd /usr/ports/x11/mate/ && make install clean or pkg install mate.
Hello,

Yes, I've installed X.Org and then the MATE desktop. I also followed these steps:
/etc/rc.conf:
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
avahi_daemon_enable="YES"
avahi_dnsconfd_enable="YES"

~/.xinitrc:
Code:
exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch mate-session

But when I try to start it (with exec mate-session) I get this error:
Code:
** (mate-session:904): WARNING **: Cannot open display:

After that I return to login.

Yep, MATE is great.

I have just this in my .xinitrc and it starts fine;
Code:
ck-launch-session mate-session

Maybe try that?

rhish said:
You are welcome! ;)

rhish said:
Sorry I know nothing about compositing managers. You might want to search in Google about MATE and compositing manager.

I installed MATE because I have used GNOME2 for as long as it has existed and practically it seems dead on FreeBSD. Indeed MATE does work well.

Are the "usual" GNOME2 programs going to be transitioned to MATE? In this I include Evolution, gnome2-office, gnome2-games, and a few more. I'm installing gnome2-games from ports (really!), and it seems that I am pulling in over half of GNOME2 (audio including codecs, Nautilus and so forth). It seems unwise not to do this, and yes I understand that this is quite a bit of work. Is this intended? The new versions could, for example, be labelled mate-office to distinguish them from the GNOME2 flavor.

DrJ said:
Are the "usual" gnome2 programs going to be transitioned to Mate? In this I include evolution, gnome2-office, gnome2-games, and a few more. I'm installing gnome2-games from ports (really!), and it seems that I am pulling in over half of gnome2 (audio including codecs, nautilus and so forth). It seems unwise not to do this, and yes I understand that this is quite a bit of work. Is this intended? The new versions could, for example, be labelled mate-office to distinguish them from the gnome2 flavor.
No. So far from what it looks like is that MATE's goal is to use GNOME's new libraries without lose GNOME 2's look and feel. It's what they have been working on. You still can use GNOME 2 appliications in MATE.

You can check in the roadmap at http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/roadmap. You will see that they keep dropping double libraries or/and applications to use new libraries/applications from GNOME 3. They will not drop panel and caja (Nautilus) because it's what keeps GNOME 2's look and feel.

As for some that require Nautilus: maybe there is an option to disable it. You can check in some ports and see if there is option to disable it.

Ah! It makes sense to run the most recent GNOME application versions, and it is good the project is moving in that way. Still, the applications have to be tended to. It makes no sense to run gnome-keyring (required by Evolution) in addition to mate-keyring. Evolution does not know about MATE, and all of the layers that duplicate functionality undoubtedly will cause some mischief.

In MATE 1.8, which was released some time ago, they have dropped mate-keyring to use gnome-keyring. kwm and ericbsd are working on it to update in FreeBSD ports. They knew about it and already removed mate-keyring in their development ports.

It is a good idea to remove the MATE keyring and replace it with GNOME's if the GNOME applications or build Makefiles are not altered. It took me a few hours to figure out that Evolution required a component that was not installed (gnome-keyring).

I should note that ports that are not GNOME-centric, such as Firefox, GIMP and LibreOffice, install and work fine.

rhish said:
I have the same thoughts. Big thanks. MATE and Freebsd FreeBSD make an excellent combination.

Back