Solved Managing remote windows server 2012 with FreeBSD

Hello guys,
Do you know if is there a FreeBSD tool addressed to remote manage a server (hp proliant g9) where has been installed the Windows Server 2012 R2 ?
A little bit the RSAT ?

Thanks.

I am not aware of any native tool. (true?) Windows administration is normally done using Powershell these days which isn't natively available for FreeBSD.

However... they have placed its sourcecode on GitHub (see this link) which, theoretically, should allow you to build it on other platforms too. There is a "powershell-unix" section / project:

Code:
eter@zefiris:/home/peter/devel/repos/powershell $ head README.md 
# ![logo][] PowerShell

Welcome to the PowerShell GitHub Community!
PowerShell Core is a cross-platform (Windows, Linux, and macOS) automation and configuration tool/framework that works well with your existing tools and is optimized
for dealing with structured data (e.g. JSON, CSV, XML, etc.), REST APIs, and object models.
But that's all I can tell you right now. Even though I'm a big fan & supporter of PowerShell I never got around to trying to build this on FreeBSD.

Yes, it depends on how you want to remote manage. There are plenty of RDP applications available in the tree. You could install an ssh server on the windows machine, as well. I believe I've done that on desktops in the past. Some people just use virtual machines to use RSAT. You can have a pretty minimal VM if it's specifically for remote management, and you can still retain the powers of pf, etc. And don't listen to anyone that tells you to use telnet. :)

iLO/IPMI works through a browser. Depending on how old the IPMI version is you may need a Java JRE/JDK though, newer IPMI versions can use HTML5. For RDP there are several clients; net/tsclient, net/rdesktop, net/remotedesk and a bunch of others.

For RDP there are several clients

Hello Sir.

1 - Please, can you tell me if RDP clients require the FreeBSD GUI or if I can use it via terminal ?

2 - Again: to install RDPs, is it necessary that my FreeBSD workstation is declared in one of the server domains ? Or can I install the RDP and enter the server with my network domain account ?

Thanks.

Please, can you tell me if RDP clients require the FreeBSD GUI or if I can use it via terminal ?
Not entirely sure but I do believe they're all X applications.

Again: to install RDPs, is it necessary that my FreeBSD workstation is declared in one of the server domains ?
No.
Or can I install the RDP and enter the server with my network domain account ?
Yes.

I would recommend using RDP over iLO/IPMI though. With RDP you can actually copy and paste data from your client to the server. RDP also has a few other useful features. iLO/IPMI is typically only used to manage the machine itself (power, hardware status, etc) and while it can do a remote console it's rather limited but quite useful if the server fails to boot (stuck in single user mode for example).

Back