Managing networks on a laptop

MasterOne

I'm currently on Arch Linux and I'm interested in trying with FreeBSD with KDE Plasma (and likely bspwm as an alternative session) on my laptop again after quite some time, and I'm wondering what the way to go there is for managing networks, so easily connecting to and switching between
  • public WLAN
  • private WLAN
  • WWAN (4G)
  • USB Tethering
  • Bluetooth Tethering
  • LAN
  • VPN (like via OpenVPN)
I have seen that there are now network managers from TrueOS and GhostBSD and I know about the script-based approach by vermaden but I'm not sure if these are any good in practice.

Anybody here care to share how you do it on your laptop?

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

net-mgmt/networkmgr will work with WLAN, both public with no WPA and private WLAN networks.
networkmgr can switch between WLAN and LAN networks.

As I noted earlier WWAN on FreeBSD uses PPP for Cellular Internet and its daemon net/mpd5.
It is a PITA to setup.
USB tethering works fine but Bluetooth tethering will be problematic.
For VPN we have security/strongswan as well as security/openvpn and security/openvpn-admin.

OP
M

MasterOne

Well, considering that net-mgmt/networkmgr is a Python GTK3 app, I'm not sure how well (of it atl all) it integrates with KDE Plasma. I'll have to take a look what to do about cellular. For VPN I only need OpenVPN for now, but security/openvpn-admin looks abandoned since 2006 (not the port, but development, and it's programmed in Mono).

I already assumed that there will be no one-in-all solution like it's done with Network Manager in Linux distribution, so I guess a script-based approach may be the most useful way to go, but I have a lot more catching up to do as it seem.