Solved Making sure second drive won't get wiped during installation

I am a rookie when it comes to FreeBSD, I am trying to move from Win10 to FreeBSD. Have the installation file on a USB thumbstick. I want to do a fresh install (wipe the main hard drive's os and install FreeBSD) but I want to make sure that the installation doesn't wipe my secondary drive (has all my media collection).

Should I just disconnect it during the installation? Will FreeBSD be able to add later on even though it was a Windows10 drive?

Yes, the simplest method to keep the drive safe is to just disconnect it during the install. You'll be able to connect it afterward and use it like any other drive (depending on the filesytem in use).

If the drive is formatted with NTFS, you'll need to install the [por]sysutils/ntfs-3g[/port] port. That'll give you read access, and mostly-working write access. But you should treat that as a temporary thing, and look at copying the data over to a FreeBSD-native filesystem (UFS or ZFS).

I tried to mount it using ntfs-3g but it didn't work, also how can I tell if all my data want erased on it? How can I get a list of the content of that hard drive?

This is what I am trying to mount...

Attachments

• NTFS_FreeDBS.jpg
    NTFS_FreeDBS.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 110
Back