Makefile not running ./configure

After writing the CAPI4Hylafax howto, I've been attempting to get it to work on FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE amd64. After getting the newest version to compile, I decided I really should look at getting the Makefile to work correctly.
The problem at the moment is that after executing make patch I need to manually run some of the automake tools to generate the configure script
Code:
# cd work/capi4hylafax-01.03.00
# aclocal
# libtoolize --force --copy
# automake --add-missing --copy
# autoreconf

I've put these in the post-patch segment of the Makefile. However when I execute make I get the following message:
Code:
<snip>
===>   capi4hylafax-01.03.00 depends on executable: gmake - found
===>   capi4hylafax-01.03.00 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.10.1 - found
===>   capi4hylafax-01.03.00 depends on shared library: tiff.4 - found
===>  Configuring for capi4hylafax-01.03.00
===>  Building for capi4hylafax-01.03.00
gmake: Makefile: No such file or directory
gmake: *** No rule to make target `Makefile'.  Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /var/tmp/comms/capi4hylafax.

As you can see, make says it configuring, but the configure script is never executed. If I enter the work source directory and execute the configure script, and then call make everything works.

The makefile was originally written for automake v.1.5, autoconf v.2.53 and libtool v.1.3
Can anyone suggest what the problem is?

Thank,
John

Attachments

• Makefile.txt
    4 KB · Views: 305
Hmm, that'll complement my current bedtime reading of Understanding Flying Weather! Thanks for the tip.

I think aclocal, automake and autoreconf is already 'build-in', you just need the correct variables in your Makefile. There's no real need to do those 'by hand' with post-patch.

Not sure about libtoolize though, you may need to experiment a little.

SirDice said:
I think aclocal, automake and autoreconf is already 'build-in', you just need the correct variables in your Makefile. There's no real need to do those 'by hand' with post-patch.

Not sure about libtoolize though, you may need to experiment a little.

Using the "Building Mechanisims" & "GNU autotools" chapters, I was able to tidy up the post-patch executes. However libtoolize left me scratching my head, so I've had to leave it in post-patch.

As for the configure script not running, there was no GNU_CONFIGURE= yes set. The whole package compiles effortlessly now.

Back