make package without install

Hello, everybody here :)

Is there any way to create package by "make package" without actually installing package on build system.
I'm creating packages for jails by building them on different server. As a result there is more and more packages in this system.
If it isn't possible - is there a way do remove all packages (dependency) installed by "make package" ??

Best regards,

Currently the FreeBSD Ports build processes requires installing it before the package can be built. There is a project to have the port installed into a temporary area so that the package can be built without requiring the install, but it is not complete yet.

I normally have a Jail on a build server that I build packages on for distribution out to other systems.

You might take a look at portmaster (it's in ports). Try the portmaster -e and -s switches to remove a package and all dependencies (but leave any dependencies that are depended upon by other packages).

The tinderbox at marcuscom.com may be useful

If you go the "special package-building jail" route, then the tinderbox scripts described at

http://tinderbox.marcuscom.com/

may be useful too.

I've been using the marcuscom tinderbox to test the build of editors/emacs and editors/emacs-devel, and I have a local installation in a separate workstation to pre-build the packages for my laptop.

It is a wonderful set of tools that has saved me from a lot of trouble over the past years. The only caveat I can think of is that it may require a bit of Perl-foo to get it going "right(TM)" for your own personal preferences.

Code:
# env PREFIX=/tmp/local PKG_DBDIR=/tmp/pkgdb make package deinstall

You'd probably have to copy /var/db/pkg to /tmp/pkgdb to prevent the ports system to build and install all dependencies into /tmp/local.

If it's not your intention to keep the original database untouched you can avoid setting PKG_DBDIR and spare you the copying.

brd@ said:
I normally have a Jail on a build server that I build packages on for distribution out to other systems.

Yes. This is good idea, and I also have a "builder" jail on main server machine. But... I wouldn't try to compile lang/mono (open source implementation of .NET Development Framework)...

kamikaze said:
Code:
# env PREFIX=/tmp/local PKG_DBDIR=/tmp/pkgdb make package deinstall

You'd probably have to copy /var/db/pkg to /tmp/pkgdb to prevent the ports system to build and install all dependencies into /tmp/local.

If it's not your intention to keep the original database untouched you can avoid setting PKG_DBDIR and spare you the copying.

This kludge won't work, as soon as libtool libraries come into play, that have hardcoded runpaths. And by default these packages will install into /tmp/local, unless you run pkg_add -P.
The only good reason to mess with PREFIX is if you really want the port to live somewhere else, good example:
Code:
make -C /usr/ports/shells/bash -DWITH_STATIC_BASH PREFIX=/ install

Back