Make "lite" version of x11-servers/xorg-server port

Hello,
Recently I tried to build X11 server for a rather modest workstation and was surprised about all the dependencies it needs.
Even with most options switched off via "make config" it is quite abusive...
It would be great to hear from someone who tried to stripe down this port to minimize the mess it wants.
Maybe we should have a "lite" version in ports? Please share your thoughts.

Guess what x11/xorg-minimal is.

And, unless you have a need to change any of the options, I suggest using packages instead of building from ports. Building Xorg requires a lot of build dependencies, those are not needed when you install packages.

Indeed, I didn't notice that one. Thanks a lot for pointing it!
So, everything is already prepared :)
Except maybe the fact that this port should be in /usr/ports/x11-servers/ - it's more logical imho...

Except maybe the fact that this port should be in /usr/ports/x11-servers/ - it's more logical imho...
No, the xserver is only a small part of the whole Xorg (even the minimalist one). The x11-server category is really only for the server part.

I'll finally go with poudriere to build needed packages, it was already planned.
But anyway, after a closer look at x11/xorg-minimal it requires quite a lot ridiculous dependencies to build.
It became a complete mess last years, mainly because of mesa-lib etc.
Official Xorg documentation shows very few dependencies, so I'll dig more how to get rid of useless modules...

after a closer look at x11/xorg-minimal it requires quite a lot ridiculous dependencies to build.
It became a complete mess last years, mainly because of mesa-lib etc.
Official Xorg documentation shows very few dependencies, so I'll dig more how to get rid of useless modules...
Mesa dependencies may be needed for playing graphics including 3D smoothly and on full screen. Without the right graphics dependencies on top of hardware drivers, graphics cards heat quickly and the CPU works too hard for playing a small amount of graphics. It won't make a difference with the VESA driver.

Official Xorg documentation shows very few dependencies
Sure. But those dependencies will have dependencies of their own. And each of those will likely have dependencies too. Then there's also a difference between run, library and build dependencies. That's how you end up with a really long list, especially when you try to build it from ports (this pulls in the build dependencies).

Yes, this is why I'm going for poudriere (as I usually do).

It was just surprising how things changed over last years with xorg-server build,
I remember to build it from ports some time ago and it pulled not so much mess...

I remember to build it from ports some time ago and it pulled not so much mess...
I remember a time when there were three massive XFree86 ports and it took several days to build ;)

Back