make.conf fragility

I use zfs so compression lz4 is already in the filesystem. Compressing man-pages will give no gain.
What i build is only to be used for one cpu, alderlake.

I use zfs so compression lz4 is already in the filesystem. Compressing man-pages will give no gain.
Sure. But does it hurt? I don't think so. (Also, I assume your setting only applies to base, not to ports, but didn't really check that)
What i build is only to be used for one cpu, alderlake.
If you only have one single machine, sure again. Still, there's (almost) no gain at all with few exceptions...

Anyways, have a look at my other remarks. There are still things to fix.

(edit: and I just noticed it's about time to clean up my own make.conf again cause some things went obsolete. Yep, you have to maintain that stuff as well!)

Yep, you have to maintain that stuff as well
Another reason to avoid setting global flags in /etc/make.conf - Just too much detail to take care of. I'm too lazy for that. And what if I decide to change the compilation flag later on? I don't wanna dig through my old notes and even remember that I even messed with /etc/make.conf... I prefer to keep things simple, just set-and-forget kind of thing. o_O

astyle that's probably a matter of taste, I don't use make config-style options at all because I prefer to have one place where everything is configured, so it's easier for me to keep the overview. But sure, that's why I recommend to not "overuse" global options. The nice thing is that you can configure port-specific options in make.conf as well, see my example above ;)

With the advice of Zirias my current make.conf
Code:
BATCH=yes
CPUTYPE?=alderlake
MTREE_FOLLOWS_SYMLINKS= -L
OPENSSLBASE=/usr/local
WITHOUT_CCACHE_BUILD=yes
WITHOUT_MANCOMPRESS=yes

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= mysql=10.6m
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= ssl=openssl
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= java=11

OPTIONS_SET+=WASM