Maildrop and Sendmail fails after upgrade to Freebsd 13.2

I've been running sendmail on freebsd for more years that I can remember. Several years ago I switched from procmail to maildrop and this has run perfectly since then, placing mail in various mailboxes and marking mail with spam headers. Yesterday, I upgraded to 13.2 via source and maildrop no longer works (or is even being called by sendmail). The sendmail is the one from ports. I'm using the same configuration files, and if I do "echo | /usr/local/bin/maildrop" as my normal user and in my home directory, it reads my .mailfilter file and does what it should, which is why I think sendmail is not running it. My sendmail.mc file hasn't changed in years and has the line
"FEATURE(`local_procmail', `/usr/local/bin/maildrop', `maildrop -d $u')dnl"
as the first feature. Note also that mail is running fine, it's just that everything appears in the inbox and is not distributed by maildrop to the appropriate mailboxes.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Of course, as root,
cd /etc/mail; touch <config.mc> file; make; make install; make restart
more times than I care to count.

Thanks,

OK. As the next step I would replace maildrop with a frontend script that leaves a trace (e.g. `touch /tmp/foo`) and then calls maildrop. So that you know whether the thing is invoked at all.

Or try whether procmail works.

Good idea, but no luck. It's definitely not being called. A couple of other things to note: I would expect 'maildrop' to appear somewhere in sendmail.cf, but it doesn't; and from looking at maillog, all my test email has been marked local. The mailers at the end of my mc file are:
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)
MAILER(procmail)
Don' know if that matters or not?

Thanks.

BtW, "grep maildrop sendmail.cf" is empty and "grep procmail sendmail.cf" shows:

#### $Id: local_procmail.m4,v 8.23 2013-11-22 20:51:11 ca Exp $ #####
##### $Id: procmail.m4,v 8.23 2013-11-22 20:51:14 ca Exp $ #####
Mprocmail, P=/usr/local/bin/procmail, F=DFMSPhnu9, S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromSMTP, R=EnvToSMTP/HdrFromSMTP,
A=procmail -Y -m $h $f $u

I even tried changing /usr/local/share/sendmail/cf/feature/local_procmail.m4 and /usr/share/sendmail/cf/feature/local_procmail.m4 and still get the same greps as above.

When using FEATURE(`local_procmail') you don't need the MAILER(procmail) macro which is used for filtering outbound mail with procmail.

Back