• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Mail server recommendations?

Reaperzx

Hello

I am currently running old FreeBSD 5.5 server with qmail, dspam and dovecot.

I am looking to replace it with new virtualserver and looking for program recommendations.

I like dovecot, so I will keep it.

I need replacement for dspam, that has manual blacklisting and whitelisting!

I need replacement for qmail, where I can disable ALL bounces! currently like 99% of mails going via my server are spam bounces.

Greylisting possibility would also be good.

obsigna

Aspiring Daemon

I am currently running old FreeBSD 5.5 server with qmail, dspam and dovecot. I am looking to replace it with new virtualserver and looking for program recommendations.
I like dovecot, so I will keep it. ...
Since your system is quite old, this is most probably dovecot v1. Version 2 is nowadays in the ports mail/dovecot. This means you cannot simply take the old v1 settings for a new v2 system. Many keywords do not exist and/or have different equivalents. That said, Dovecot 2 would be a good choice. I use it together with mail/postfix.

I need replacement for dspam, that has manual blacklisting and whitelisting!
In case you are only missing white-/blacklisting, you could adjust this with Postfix before it passes control over to the spam filter.

I need replacement for qmail, where I can disable ALL bounces! currently like 99% of mails going via my server are spam bounces.
Hmmm..., are you talking about bounces because spammers are fraudulently using sender mail addresses of your domain, and the victims send it back to your server. If this is the case, you want to try putting an SPF TXT record into your domain's zone, something like:
Code:
v=spf1 mx -all
Greylisting possibility would also be good.
I use mail/greyfix, and I am very satisfied. This one is very easy to setup, it is a tiny C daemon (not a bunch of Perl scripts) and uses a BDB backend. As the name suggests, it is targeted to Postfix.

In the past I deployed The poor man's Greylisting mechanism (also called Nolisting). In your DNS zone, you would put the highest MX to a dead IP address, and the valid MX would have lower priorities. The sender would try the dead MX first and would fail, then only well configured server (hopefully non-spammers), would try a second time using one of the other MX. This worked quite well, however, a real greylist does whitelist valid senders after the second contact.

Actually, nowadays this is a rich man's setup, because it would be best If you could assign a valid public IP address which is dead on port 25 AND is under your control to the hi-pri dead MX, otherwise, there might be some risk that a third party receives e-mails for you.

Reaperzx

Since your system is quite old, this is most probably dovecot v1. Version 2 is nowadays in the ports mail/dovecot. This means you cannot simply take the old v1 settings for a new v2 system. Many keywords do not exist and have different equivalents. That said, Dovecot 2 would be a good choice. I use it together with mail/postfix.

In case you are only missing white-/blacklisting, you could adjust this with Postfix before it passes control over to the spam filter.

Hmmm..., are you talking about bounces because spammers are fraudulently using sender mail addresses of your domain, and the victims send it back to your server. If this is the case, you want to try putting an SPF TXT record into your domain's zone, something like:
Code:
v=spf1 mx -all
I use dovecot for speed and caching only, no extra features.

Postfix would probably be too cumbersome, would need web interface, that normal non-IT person can manage.

No, spam mails to nonexisting users at my domains are sent to my server. So my server is sending bounces out to 3rd parties. I want those bounces disabled. At last i could disable double bounces, I want single bounces gone too.

ShelLuser

Son of Beastie

The problem is that basically any MTA can handle what you need so it mostly boils down to personal prefernce. Since you mentioned Greylisting I'm very happy with mail/postgrey myself to handle all that, it works in combination with mail/postfix.

But having said that my other server relies fully on Sendmail (the MTA which came with the base system) and I have to say that I also quite like that one. It takes getting used to, but once you learned Sendmail you'll see that its M4 scripting basically allows you to make it do whatever you want.

Of course it can also be quite difficult ;) I still haven't fully figured out how to use Greylisting in combination with Sendmail for example (also never really bothered).

I've replaced DSpam with Spamassasin (mail/spamassasin) quite a long time ago and never looked back. It should be able to do what you want, but... best to try it out.

I'd first worry about getting your ancient system up to date though, that could be a challenge in itself.

(edit)

I've also become quite displeased with Dovecot over the years because it has become awfully bloated in my opinion. In the latest developments they're even talking about adding a chat server to the program, ugh... So I've been using mail/cyrus-imapd25 for a while now and I like this much better. Despite its name it also handles POP3.

Reaperzx

I won't touch the old system it works as long it works. So that's why it will be replaced with new 11.1 from scratch.