ZFS m.2 PCIe SSDs for FreeBSD

Hello,

I recently purchased a Samsung PM961 256GB SSD (m.2 PCIe) but ended up encountering a known bug:

https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=211713

This issue is not yet solved.

So, could anyone recommend me any m.2/PCIe SSD that works fine with FreeBSD 11.0? I'm personally looking for 256GB or so, but I think information for other sizes could also be helpful for others who try to avoid the bug.

I'm thinking of ADATA XPG SX8000 or PLEXTOR M8Pe because the prices are close to PM961, but have anybody tried them?

Thank you in advance for information!

I just installed an Intel 600P PCIe and it worked fine and I even boot from it. It may depend on the motherboard you use though.

I've seen some bad reviews for this SSD but it performs really well for my workload. Depends how much performance you need - seems like you're after something more high end.

I just installed an Intel 600P PCIe and it worked fine and I even boot from it. It may depend on the motherboard you use though.

I've seen some bad reviews for this SSD but it performs really well for my workload. Depends how much performance you need - seems like you're after something more high end.

Thank you! Although the performance of Intel 600P seems more modest than others, I suppose it sounds at least more stable; there are some reports that say Samsung PM961 becomes too hot, which unfortunately I haven't managed to try yet. Now I'm trying to find MLC rather than TLC, but very good to know there always remains the option for me to try Intel 600P. Thank you.

Also, it would depend on the motherboard. I found one review that says PM961 worked with Freebsd, although many others including me have reported it didn't.

Back