Other Lumina support added to sysutils/desktop-installer

As the title states, I just added support for Lumina + SLiM to the development version of sysutils/desktop-installer.

For now, you can install it from my WIP ports collection:

https://github.com/outpaddling/freebsd-ports-wip

There are still some cosmetic issues:

1) Text in KDE apps is white and barely readable against the background. I've seen the same issue when running apps over an ssh(1) connection, so I'm guessing it's an environment or X11 config issue. I haven't found a solution yet, though.

2) The main menu has a large blank area.

lumina.png

3) Desktop resize does not work in a VirtualBox guest. It doesn't work in PC-BSD with Lumina either, so maybe this is just a missing feature at this point.

Size increase:

lumina-size-increase.png

Size decrease:

lumina-size-decrease.png

Suggestions regarding the above issues or anything else are welcome. I'll try to incorporate any solutions into desktop-installer so that it works out of the box.

For the most part, this is a fabulous new desktop environment. It's well designed, very fast, and lightweight. I've been happily using XFCE for years, KDE for years before that, and Lumina could be next if I can iron out the wrinkles.

Jason

Last edited:
… 2) The main menu has a large blank area.

Favourites will appear in that area of the start menu.

Browse applications, select one then use the contextual menu to favour the selection.

I might add a screenshot somewhere on page six of Show your PC-BSD desktop.

3) Desktop resize does not work …

For a panel that is at the foot of the screen before an increase in resolution, do you find that the panel remains at the same coordinates following the increase; that the panel does not move to the new foot?

If so, I'm almost certain that panel-related behaviours such as that are already improved in Lumina 0.8.8.-Devel.

SLiM

That was new to me. Google led me to FreeBSD SLiM Theme | The FreeBSD Forums, later I found:

I think the blank area *looks* like a bug, even if it's an intended feature. I would think the area would be sized to match the current number of favorites.

You are correct: The panel does not move when the screen is expanded. That's not the only problem, though. The background image also does not scale up. I added screen shots to the original post showing what happens when the screen is either expanded or shrunken. When the screen size is reduced, the panel jumps to *near* the top of the screen.

Thanks,

Jason

I think the blank area *looks* like a bug …

+1

The area is less mysterious in PC-BSD. As far as I recall the end user will find the area pre-populated with two or more favourites.

I would think the area would be sized to match the current number of favorites.

+1
although I'm not sure what limit might apply to extension of the space.

I imagine that the start menu should never extend from top to bottom of the screen, or vice versa. Maybe have a 35 pixel gap beyond the farthest extent.

You are correct: The panel does not move when the screen is expanded. That's not the only problem, though. The background image also does not scale up. … When the screen size is reduced, the panel jumps to *near* the top of the screen. …

Yep, I'm fairly certain that such things are fixed in Lumina 0.8.8-Devel. See for example the fix under Bug #11554: panels may be misplaced following removal of a display - PCBSD - Bug Tracking System.

I stumbled on the solution to the KDE text color issue. I happened to run K3B while sysutils/desktop-installer was still churning away installing packages, and it worked fine. After desktop-installer finished, the text color issue appeared again.

I backtracked from the end of the script and found that deinstalling qt4-style-float fixed the problem.

So, I'm removing this package from the next release of desktop-installer unless I find out why it's causing this issue and what the proper solution is.

Writing this on my old white MacBook under Lumina right now. Working pretty well at this point:

lumina-mac.png

Back